Generation M Manifesto

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Generation M Manifesto

Okay, so I know pigeon-holing manifestos are two a penny, but I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on this one...

http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/haque/ ... _20_1.html

I thought there were some interesting overlaps with ishyness.
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Generation M Manifesto

First impression (don't have time just now to read it all):

Is it really a generation problem? I'm probably one of those "old" people who "run the world" (not that I do much running at the moment, but it is mostly done by people of my generation). :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the benefits of getting old is the sort of wisdom that comes from "seeing it all before"

As is events that are tragically happening in Afghanistan at the moment, it seems that all those that "run the world" never learn from past mistakes, that nobody has managed to tame the Afghans ... not the British in 1840, 1880 & 1919 nor the Russians in the 1980's, all ended in tears.

I'm also slightly bemused by the Manifesto statement ...
You turned politics into a dirty word. We want authentic, deep democracy — everywhere.

That also smacks of Bush & Blair's favourite pastime Regime Change which started all the above.
Not just George Bush of course but it is now entrenched in western politics that every country must be a democracy whether they want to be or not.
Which is somehow much different than the 60's Soviet view that every country must be communist whether they want to be or not.
And both prepared to force it upon non-believers.

At least I'm glad I live in a democratic country that allows me to write stuff like this.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ina

You are right - nobody learns from history. It all somehow reminds me of when we were young - similar statements bandied about! :flower:
Ina

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yeah, I thought there was a touch of hyperbole about the whole thing. The guy has since clarified to say he wasn't talking about old people all being wrong (phew!), rather the G8 leaders in particular.
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

ina

Mal wrote:The guy has since clarified to say he wasn't talking about old people all being wrong (phew!)
Very reassuring! :mrgreen:
Ina