Poison

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
User avatar
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 17637
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 6:09 am
Location: Brittany, France

Re: Poison

Post: # 211713Post Millymollymandy
Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:32 am

I very probably don't know what I'm talking about :iconbiggrin: but wasn't flouride (?) put into the drinking water decades ago in order to help combat tooth decay?

I really should google before I mention things like that but I'm sure I read/heard about that somewhere recently. :scratch:

I think also I am one of those people who have a bad reaction to bleach/chlorine as I just cannot bear the smell which seems to stick up my nose for hours, and when I was little I had a seriously bad allergy which baffled the doctors and apparently I was very sick indeed. In the end it was put down to swimming in a chorinated swimming pool and not having washed it out of my very long hair. Mum says she washed my hair (somehow!) whilst I was extremely sick and hey presto I got better very quickly afterwards. :shock: I haven't had a reaction to swimming pools since but I really, really can't bear the smell of them and haven't been in a public pool in decades.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

User avatar
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5102
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: North Notts.

Re: Poison

Post: # 211799Post MKG
Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:41 pm

For goodness sake!!

The amount of chlorine used in supermarket produce is minimal. It really is! It's absolutely harmless unless you have a particular sensitivity, and it's difficult to envisage a world which caters specifically for minority sensitivities.

Having said that, I choose not to buy anything which has been chlorine treated. I grow my own or buy stuff which has not undergone such treatment. This is not rocket science, but I think I wouldn't panic overmuch if I discovered that, by accident, I had actually ingested treated produce. Think about your root crop store - untouched by any such chemical. How sure are you that after, say, three months, there has been no adulteration? I couldn't possibly be sure about that, and nor could anyone else. Make your decision at that point - are you going to eat regardless and take a chance, or are you going to take advantage of a simple disinfection routine?

I'm firmly in the eat it and see category - but being there puts me well and truly in the high risk area. Let's not beat about the bush - moaning about disinfection whilst at the same time insisting upon misguided cleanliness is hypocritical in the extreme. You want natural - take it and accept all it entails. You want scrupulous cleanliness - the supermarkets provide it in spades.

As you can see, I'm not in the best of moods tonight.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

User avatar
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8560
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 pm
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620
Location: North West Highlands

Re: Poison

Post: # 211825Post Green Aura
Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:56 am

Someone finished off your home brew again, Mike :pale: :iconbiggrin: :wink:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:57 am

Re: Poison

Post: # 211828Post oldjerry
Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:20 am

Or perhaps you didn't wash your veg thoroughly.


Seriously, and a bit boringly,I agree with all that. As my old Granny Mabel was wont to say..'Eat a peck of dirt before you die'.........................(mind you she spent most of her life in an asylum).

User avatar
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5102
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: North Notts.

Re: Poison

Post: # 211833Post MKG
Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:50 am

Yes - it was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? Apologies, folks :oops:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Poison

Post: # 212974Post cocobelle
Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:11 am

A certain amount of dirt, I'm sure, strengthens the immune system. Don't really like the idea of using chlorine to wash the veg but if it suits one persons needs....however I would rather make the choice myself of whether or not I want to wash my food in chlorine rather than have a manufacterer or shop do it for me. That way I am given a choice.
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

User avatar
StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1175
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: Carnyorth, Cornwall

Re: Poison

Post: # 213033Post StripyPixieSocks
Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:29 pm

A weak bleach solution is used by alot of brewers . breweries to disinfect their equipment... we certainly did from time to time and I'm still here to tell the tale *twitches* :D

User avatar
gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Poison

Post: # 213035Post gregorach
Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:44 pm

Marmalady wrote:isnt the Milton/similar sterilising solution for babies bottles chlorine based?

if its safe for babies bottles, cant hurt on the veg!
As the toxicologists always say, the dose makes the poison.
for 15 years in late 60's onwards I lived in perhaps the only place in the UK (Anglesey) where the mains water was flouridised.Many people think flourine (is that vastly different from chlorine? Dunno) is linked to immune deficiency probs
Fluorides are not fluorine, in much the same way that chlorides (eg sodium chloride, aka table salt) are not chlorine.
Cheers

Dunc

Post Reply