Geodesic Greenhouse

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Geodesic Greenhouse

I'm planning to make a geodesic greenhouse out of scrap. Has anyone made anything like this before?

It's just an idea at the moment so any advice would be great - what would I need to tie the poles together with? How big would it be if I used poles say a meter long or even 1.5m? How many poles would I need? Are they easy to make?

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Geodesic Greenhouse

Yes, I looked into it a few years ago and even managed to find some plans out there on the internet for free. I abandoned the idea because of ventilation issues (it would be too hot in summer here.)

BTW, the plans I found were for a pretty low dome, so I was planning on putting the dome on a 1m tall dry-stone wall to give better access towards the walls and protect them from wear & tear.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Green Aura wrote:http://www.fiea.ucf.edu/~mgourlay/dome/

This any help?
Thanks for the bonny pictures GA...... Big words scare me......
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

Dave wrote:I'm planning to make a geodesic greenhouse out of scrap. Has anyone made anything like this before?

It's just an idea at the moment so any advice would be great - what would I need to tie the poles together with? How big would it be if I used poles say a meter long or even 1.5m? How many poles would I need? Are they easy to make?
I know it's could ber classed as playing but can you not get some of the drinks straws and make a model of the proposed design? My thinking is that if you use a scale, say one side ( or straw) = 1m then you will be able to get a bigger idea of the planned dome without spending to much.

Maybe another avenue is to approach a primary school and see if they, 1 , have some of these straws and also 2, see if there is a science / religeous / buddhist project you can link into. Come to think of it that idea might be a secondary school project.

Hope those ramblings are useful.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for all your tips and links, I might go for a willow dome and cover it in plastic rather than the geodesic. I'll post pictures up whichever I end up doing. As my shed still remains unbuilt after a year and a half it could be a while!!

Colin
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi Dave
The good thing with geodesics is you don`t need really long pieces of wood to make one. I`ve built a few out of various materials. If you decide to make one and need help with any of it..just shout :wink:

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Check this site out http://www.geo-dome.co.uk/default.asp

It has an amazing amount of information and has calculators for working out all the measurements

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

The more I look into these domes the more I like them

Jules wants another tunnel for next year but I might see if I can have a go at building a dome

I have drawn up some plans for a paper model based on the ones on the geo dome website. I am testing them at the moment but if they work I will post them up here for people to have a go at

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

mamos wrote:The more I look into these domes the more I like them

Jules wants another tunnel for next year but I might see if I can have a go at building a dome

I have drawn up some plans for a paper model based on the ones on the geo dome website. I am testing them at the moment but if they work I will post them up here for people to have a go at

mamos
I am a big fan of geodesic domes, mainly because I am a huge fan of Richard Buckminster Fuller.

I am tempted to build a dome on our allotment, if I get the time that is.
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hooray :cheers:

I built my first dome using my updated pattern and it worked really well

Only took about a hour start to finish

mamos
Attachments
IMG00035-20091109-2042.jpg
IMG00035-20091109-2042.jpg (214.6 KiB) Viewed 8255 times

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

nice one mamos!!!

so when you going to build a bigger one :iconbiggrin:

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well

The tricky part is permission.

We rent out little house and bit of land so we can't just do what we want plus there is already a large poly tunnel on the land which is used by the owners. They do let us use the tunnel but they do plant an awful lot of stuff and we felt a bit marginalised this year. Jules wanted her own space so she could lay things out as she wanted wtc so I bought a small polt greenhouse from argos. We live on a very windy site and the poor argos greenhouse just didn't stand a chance really. I remained standing but the constant movement of the poly over the frame wore it out and it disintegrated.

We started looking at traditional tunnels but it is going to be a hard sell to the owners of the land because they don't see a problem with us using their tunnel

It is getting a little complicated but what I plan to do is build a small dome just large enough to cover one of our raised beds but small enough to be removed by two people. This will serve two purposes.

1 I can test out the build and iron out any problems without it costing a fortune

2 I will use it to get my landlord excited about the whole dome thing. He does like this sort of thing and he has said he would like another large tunnel for next year but I would love to convince him to build a dome

So, in answer to your question. Soon but only a smaller scale one but built in exactly the same way as the larger one

mamos

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

remember Field of Dreams

"If you build they will come" ... around
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

mamos wrote:
So, in answer to your question. Soon but only a smaller scale one but built in exactly the same way as the larger one

mamos
I'll look forward to seeing it.

Out of interest, will you build the frame and then cover it with polythene, or will you build triangular sections with plastic triangular windows (if that makes sense???)

obviously the frame with a poly cover over would be easier to build - friends of mine build their geodesic domes out of plastic tubing.