waterless urinal

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

waterless urinal

:scratch: Has anyone got experience with urinals? We have a composting toilet but my husband and male visitors seem to object to sitting to pee..(prefer to stand outside in the rain ...I cannot understand it but hey!!) and as we have a urine diverter they would need to. Also other issues (splash etc!!) So we are looking at fitting a urinal and use bio cleaners tablets to deal with bacterialogical issues, plan on using the occasional teacup of water as a flush. I have found a mini waterless urinal in Canada (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ECO-URINAL-NEW-Mini- ... 0458041163) but seems very expensive to send to Uk. Also found an inexpensive vitra model which I think we could adapt. Many of the waterless ones are really expensive! I guess the men could go back to peeing behind a bush but I would welcome any comments! Thanks
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

contadina

Re: waterless urinal

Keep them peeing outside, it's good for plants.

battybird

They do it outside in the daytime but when the weather is bad.. resent having to find a bush...its a bit wild outside our barn! Also I insist they water different bushes each time!! the urine will go to the garden eventually, I just think a urinal will be a good option.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Is it the sitting down to pee that they're uncomforable with? If so, there must be urinal manufacturers or...ahem...outlets in the UK. Otherwise I've seen special unisex composting loo bowls that capture the pee and divert it to a separate 'store.' If that's what you're after, shout, and I'll have a dig around in my bookmarks and see if I can find one.

Of course, manufacturing a urinal for outdoors would be pretty simple - it is just a big funnel after all.

battybird

outlets.... LOL!! The loo seat I bought in Uk has the diverter integral but to avoid splash and divert properly it should be used sitting down! I have done more research and think the vitra urinal will be fine if used with the bio clean tablets and minimal water. The manufacturer has advised that the tablets can be used like this. The loo seat we bought is to be fitted into the composting loo we are making in portugal where the barn is...this is to be a more refined bathroom than the current one! (the adega with a thunderbox!) We have done a lot of learning with composting loos in the last couple of years. I was just hoping that someone had come accross the mini urinal from Canada and found an "outlet" more accessible to us!

sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

We use a composting toilet as well, but ours doesn't seem to work the way your's does, no diverter.

Have you considered one of those great long flexible funnels for filling auto radiators? :lol: :lol: That's the sort of thing my husband would have done.
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux

Millymollymandy

How about a bucket inside when the weather is bad then put it in the compost heap/garden/under a bush when the weather is better? It's what I'd do if it was raining. :iconbiggrin:

How do women use a urinal though - that link says it's suitable for women and children too. :scratch:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was just about to suggest a bucket too - we use an old nappy bucket (tight fitting lid = no smells)

We use the bucket inside the house, next to our regular loo and we also have a cut out for the bucket to sit under the seat of our outdoor compost toilet.... we remove the bucket for 'solid occasions' and put it in the rest of the time. Then it just gets removed and emptied (onto the compost bin) on a regular basis
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

battybird

Thanks everyone! We do use a bucket with a lid in the bedroom particularly at night. Unfortunately we have not got a "quiet" corner in the barn (except the bedroom) yet to send visitors, its a bit open plan yet. ONE DAY we will have a cubicle with a bucket. Also have trained my husband to pee on the compost heap in the day, but its quite a walk from the main building. However our new "bathroom" will be an outbuilding next to the barn (with a lit walkway) and we thought we would try and be a little more refined especially for those visitors who find composting loos a difficult concept! Also had a couple of mishaps at night when friends have gone outside for a pee and fallen down the terraces!! The adega with the thunderbox is down a sloping track and this is not good after sampling too much vino!! Have decided to make a funnel type urinal to try out and site it in the outbuilding. Also wonder whether the"splashing"will actually be an issue so may just see what hapens!!
If anyone is interested in the urine diverting seat, I got it from natures head. Quite cheap and looks just what we wanted. The urine will be collected outside then put on the garden or compost heap. Isn't it strange how this subject becomes so interesting??? I spent ages reading the humanure book instead of the usual novels!!

SaveSomeGreen
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007 ... 975072.htm

Posted this earlier, You can buy them but I reckon your best bet is to go to freecycle or similar and get an old urinal get loads of vinegar over it to eco clean it and then divert the waste onto the compost heap.

Or a rainwater funnel...that is bound to work...

I recently read about a block (or 2) of flats in china where all the urine is collect and used as fertiliser, an amazing idea. No petro chemicals and removes a waste product.

There is an argument towards getting all the men suitable drunk on lots of cold fresh beers, being brought to them all evening (on a tray with nibbles of course) and then none of them would complain because they were too drunk.. heck they would like want to go out and water the bushes, surely?!?

I am going to try and persuade the missus of that marvelous plan right now...
Frugal is it's own reward

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk
Saving the Environment and your pocket

SaveSomeGreen

She actually sneered.. bang goes my cold drinks and nibbles plan.. maybe the outfit was a step too far ... or just the tassles??

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk

battybird

Save some green, That was a great idea...and I cannot even use it as we dont have a fridge yet(do you know anyone with a kerosene fridge for under £50?? thought not!)! So beers have to sit in the stream for ages till cold..works well until its dark, when we have the terrace problem again and the men are prone to fall down into the stream especially after a few beers!! :roll: We are also using a zeer (claypot fridge) which works well but only takes 1or 2 beers at a time, and then only if I dont have something that is more essential to keep cold!
We have to slum it drinking the local red wine which is 4euro for 5litres...its a hardship!! :iconbiggrin:
Back to the subject....The urine recycling makes so much sense, we dilute it to fertilise plants and veg, and any extra goes straight onto the compost heap where it speeds up the process. Such a waste to flush it away with loads of drinking water like I do in the UK! One day we will start transforming our home here!

shiela_robins

I heard waterless urinals will need as much cleaning since without water to flush it down after every use, urine tend to stick and smell. Ya try not flushing the toilet bowl after relieving yourself a couple times and it will have that pungent urine smell, all the more if the men have been drinking beer. It stinks! lols :icon_smile:

battybird

Hi
I had looked into this and have bought some biotablets which sit the bottom of the urinal and neutralise (I am not entirely sure of the technical terms but that is my understanding!) :? the uric acids and bacteria which cause the smell. Will let you know if this works! We wll use a cupful or so of grey water to "flush it" anyway also.

SaveSomeGreen

white vinegar in a plant spray will do the job.. great for all cleaning and gets rid of the smell too.. although if you have a sugar puff wee it may be a good thing.. if only to discourage eating processed cereal badness!! :P

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk