Experiences of planners in Sussex?

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

Experiences of planners in Sussex?

Hi all,

I'm trying to buy some land and live on it and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience of the various planning depts in the different borough and district councils in Sussex, particularly mid and east Sussex, as it would be good to know if any were known to be relatively sympathetic or known to be very anti such things.

Thanks for anything anyone can point me towards!

:flower:
Liz

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Experiences of planners in Sussex?

Having done a few rounds with the planners (not Sussex but it's the same everywhere), the only advice I can give you is:

1. Go through their pre-application process. It is normally free.
2. Read all their policies and make sure you highlight the relevant favourable points in your application.
3. Although policies should be consistently applied across the council area they are not. Each officer will have a different opinion on 'policy'.
4. Do your research on approval given for the "how on earth did they get planning for that" categories and try and get that officer to do your pre-application.
5. If refused always appeal - it's free. Refer to similar type applications that were refused then granted on appeal.

The whole planning process is a bit of a lottery and really shouldn't be. I always liken it to refereeing - inconsistent :(

If all else fails stick £2,000 in and envelope and bobs your uncle!
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks for that, that's really helpful, gives me somewhere to start! :flower:
Liz

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Julysea, you say you would like to live on the land, what were you anticipating - you almost certainly would not be able to simply build a house on it, unless the land is in a built up area. If it is agricultural land, you could live in a caravan and build up an agricultural business within 3 years and then apply to have a proper house, but proving the need to live on site is not easy, you need to be keeping animals that need constant attention (eg not sheep). If the land is greater than 5 hectares you can build a barn on it (permission is required, but more or less a formality so long as it's a commercial (ugly) looking barn (nothing that could be converted to a house) and have the right to live on site for 5 years whilst building it, this gives you a bit longer to get your business profitable.

becks77

Any good? ha my eye on this place but I wont ever be able to afford it
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 56095.html
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

grahamhobbs

Becks77, it shows that it can be done, you can buy land in Sussex and make a viable enterprise and get planning permission. The log cabin, is a good alternative to a caravan whilst you are building your business, because it is classified as a temporary structure.

becks77

Its run as a pony sanctuary at the moment and there are restrictions, so you must look at all the legal stuff (I know you would) but all the dos and donts etc, our town council are a bit of sticklers for that sort of thing.
Bx
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"