Rainwater harvesting

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rainwater harvesting

Just finished the final touches to my new barn.
2 IBCs connected to the gutter with a bit of a plumber's nightmare of plastic pipes. The first tank fills automatically due to the swept "T" connector, and when full a captive ping pong ball inside the tank stops the flow (like a snorkel valve), which then directs the flow to the second tank. The same happens when the second tank is full and the water then overflows out of the header tank to the drain.

Unless my maths are way out, which is likely, as the roof area is about 8m x 4m, every centimetre of rain should net me 320 litres.
Should come in handy for irrigating the 2 polytunnels a few feet away.
IBC.jpg
IBC.jpg (175.99 KiB) Viewed 12266 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Rainwater harvesting

Ah, Tony, this made me laugh out loud. (Not your beautiful barn and plumbing by the way). It was the thought of irrigating the polytunnel wot dun it.

Our polytunnel suffered some interesting damage in the January storms, some hoops have actually been warped, albeit only slightly. We've recovered it with the polycarbonate we managed to find (one piece disappeared entirely - we've no idea where that went :dontknow: ) but because of the distorted frame we now have ventilation (read rain gulleys) in between each sheet. No need for any sophisticated watering system here. :lol:

But your barn and pipework look wonderful. Have you got room for a bed in there for me?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

That looks far more professional than what I'm planning for my shed... But I will need some guttering and a down pipe to my rainwater butt (which so far I've been filling with a bucket!). Haven't even found out yet where to get all those bits and pieces I'll need...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

doofaloofa

You're cool Tony, with your ping-pong valves
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln