Warmcel?

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

The reason we were looking for loose fill is the access is poor. We would need to put something in at the top and hope that it falls in the right place and loose fill seems to be an easier way of achieving good coverage.

Let us know how you get on though. I have heard thermafleece is a good product.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

It's difficult to think of how to do a good job on this that doesn't involve accessing the back of the cavity in some way - in other words taking off the existing plasterboard. If you can get into the triangular crawl space it would help, and you may be able to see better how to tackle the job better from there. I think putting in loose stuff a handful at a time, while not impossible, will take a looooong time, and you may need to find some way of stopping it all just falling out into that crawl space.

Just on a detail, if you use rockwool or similar in the crawl space, take it up the back of the vertical stud, rather that insulating that part of the roof, so that you don't lose heat into that dead space.

Also, I don't know about vapour permeable sarking, but whatever you do, don't ignore the need for ventilation, or you risk long term problems with condensation.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

teraivyyr
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Just a quickie - we applied for a grant (no insulation at all when we moved in) but were told it would be about eight or nine weeks. We didn't want to wait so went ahead by ourselves using warmcel, only about £100 more. The grant people told us that we would have to have fibreglass, horrid stuff!
Warmcel is excellent, a bit messy (some always comes out when getting things out of the loft, and ends up on the floor) but keeps us cosy.
We would have liked thermafleece, but it's very expensive, and also, though the fleeces are from the UK they have to go to Germany to be processed!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is yours a standard loft space Tera? Or is it anything like the space I have? (as seen in diagrams in previous posts)

To answer Muddy -
The VPU is supposed to negate the need for ventilation, as it, in itself IS your ventilation... no I don't know if I am buying it either :?
We have bought some Knauf Space Blankets (bogof @ B+Q) to lay over horizontal parts for just now.
Our plan for between the rafters was to use some form of netting (ie. the type you can use to hold up underfloor insulation, if you have a void) we had thought of useing the netting to seal in the joists so the loose fill would only be between the joists all the way down. - we would still only have to gain access to the crawl space
As for the heating dead space... another thought for us is if we take of plasterboard to get into the crawl space we might as well use that space to build in much needed storage - open shelves probably

We are in limbo again though as, while crawling along the other day to lay down the Space Blanket, I found a gaping void in our stone wall, it seems the builders we have recently had in didn't fancy finishing the job... hopefully we can withhold payment until they come back and fix it... watch this space...
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

teraivyyr
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

No Ann, ours is a standard roofspace, terraced granite cottage.
You do seem to be having problems - good luck with the builders!
I am lucky as my partner is a builder...