Living in miniature?

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular

Living in miniature?

I've gotten permission to turn the old gazebo on my land into a yurt, which puts me one step closer to permanent housing. The catch is, its a very small gazebo, maybe 10 feet across. Any ideas for fitting a life into that space (particularly if a certain sweetheart decided to take the plunge with me)?

I already sleep in a hammock, that could be hung to one side during the day to make things easier. I can cook on a tiny little woodstove (made one out of empty soup cans once), but if I get the job I'm hoping for I'll need to look "business professional", and I'm not sure how to squeeze in everything necessary for that.

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Perhaps it is possible to build a 'chest' outside wich isn't so big that you 'd need permission for it, but wich would allow you to store some stuff?

Congratulation on the permission and good luck finding solutions for living in a tiny space.

Jandra

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

How exciting! I'd highly recommend reading this - Radical Simplicity: Creating an Authentic Life by Dan Price, if you haven't already!!

Good luck & keep us posted.

:flower: Ratty
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

Ellendra

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also got permission to dig a root cellar, so I can store my junk there. Winters will get interesting. But there won't be electricity. I've seen this solar-powered battery charger thingy, and battery powered lights. Its the bathing that has me stumped.

On an old TV show once there was an episode that showed a fold-up bathtub, it looked like an old army cot only deeper, has anyone seen such a thing and know where to find one?

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

How exciting. Good luck and do have loads of fun. Remember to take lots of photos of how you get on - I can see a book coming.

A thought for your bath. Old houses used to have a bathtub in the floor with a board over. You lift the board to use the tub then put it back down and walk over it.

You could use this idea for lots of storage. Dig holes, use them for storage and put some planks over.

How high is your yurt? Can you hang clothes in the roof space?

Zoe

Ellendra

Ooo, I like that floor storage idea! And the roof might be high enough after I remove the wasps nests. I'm going to put things on hold for a month or so since I found a nest full of baby birds in the rafters, I want them flying before I move it.

Glorfon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Living in miniature?

For bathing I'd suggest getting metal tub about 2 feet deep and 3 feet in diameter and a small bucket with holes in the bottom. Then screw a hook into the ceiling. Fill the big tub with water and periodically scoop some of the water and hang the bucket from the hook to make a shower.

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i would love to live a simple life like this....but my oh 'needs' his creature comforts like his telly :(

some friends of ours are taking the plunge and are going to build a yurt. maybe they can convince oh
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

Ellendra

A friend told me about this video, which has some interesting ideas I could use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRvsWuWNUM&NR=1

Ellendra

Doing more research on the company in that video, I came across this group: http://www.resourcesforlife.com/small-house-society