I'm glad I make my own bread.

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm glad I make my own bread.

Just read this on the BBC news ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8315836.stm
While I have every sympathy with women of child bearing age, I object strongly to the word " mandatory".
But then, I don't live in the UK and therefore not really entitled to comment.
Still, I'm glad I make my own bread and know EXACTLY what goes into every slice.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: I'm glad I make my own bread.

I know what you mean Tony.

Unfortunately, the telling sentence in the article
Folic acid is a synthetic form of folate, a B vitamin found in a wide variety of foods including liver and green leafy vegetables.
shows exactly what's wrong with most diets these days. As so few people these days get any fresh veg, let alone leafy greens they need to get it as a supplement.

Starts to make me really appreciate the efforts of Jamie Oliver et al - maybe the next generation will be healthier if they get used to eating some veg again.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

The world would be a happier, healthier and saner place if everyone could grow their own food, bake their own bread and share a tipple of home brew.

StripyPixieSocks

No, they should start making junk food illegal before forcing people who take adequate dietary care of themselves to eat enforced Folic Acid in bread!

I've been watching Jamie's programs lately on 4OD and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls and some of the people on there just leave me sitting there with my mouth open! Then after watching these programs and others like it (like this: What's Really in Our Food) I've wandered around Supermarkets agog at the bad choices people are making.

However, as I have mentioned in my blog some people are forced into making bad choices via Supermarket psychology tricksters but really... the Government have got the wrong end of the stick all over again haven't they?

Bring back domestic science in schools, make sure Single mothers aren't being forced to go back to work so they can adequately care for their children and give parents adequate help if the mother (or father) wants to stay at home to care for their children then crack down on junk foods... but I suppose that would take more consideration than just bunging a load of unwanted stuff in bread eh?

:banghead:

Squirrel46
Tom Good
Tom Good

Interesting to see the connection with bowel cancer, which I came through five years ago! It started me on the path to growing and making as much of my own food as possible.
My own frozen ready meals, my own bread, an allotment, even make my own pasta now! :iconbiggrin:
Never give a food animal a name, its not nice to eat a friend!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's even more interesting (and more telling) is the Food Standards Agency is quite happy to risk giving bowel cancer to an unsuspecting population rather than spend money on education.
It's probably the cheapest option, similar to poisoning everyone's drinking water with fluorine ... cheaper than educating people and far cheaper than filling teeth on the NHS.
It's a win - win situation for the government, the bread maker pays for the folic acid, the water companies pay for the fluorine, which of course means the consumer pays .... just another indirect tax.
Tony

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Maybe we could sue 'acme bakers' when we get bowel cancer? Just a thought!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

You know after reading that article I was left feeling bad at the presumption of individual incompetance. That is, afterall, why they must sneak what is good for us, into our food. :( Getting treated like some one who is incapable of taking information and using it to make the choices that would benefit myself, is part of the problem. People do not feel (and I hate using this word because it's part of the urban professional lexicon and means absolutely nothing beyond being a feel-good sales pitch) "empowered" to be the experts in their own lives. We are filled with information by others who are called "experts" usually for no reason beyond the fact they are being mentioned in an article, are on tv or have some remotely relevant creditional on the subject matter, and are reassured that their advise is the one to follow. Shortly after, another "expert" comes along and says the exact opposite. No wonder people feel led astray. And I can't help but remember in times like this something I read a long time ago: People who don't know what they want, or what to do, or are generally confused are a lot easier to sell to. No salesperson would choose to deal with an informed member of the public--that's their worst nightmare! Another thing that rings true for me is that the man who stands for nothing, will fall for anything. So basically, I think most people would make a huge leap in the direction of being healthy, if they took a small step towards being responsible for themselves. I know it's tough because we are being lied to left and right, but make a small step by not just taking things at face value. That ready-meal is not making your life more convenient. It's cost, versus cooking from scratch, necessitates you working harder and being away from your family,and the things you love, for longer. How convenient is that really?

Anyway, another long post. This is getting to be a bad habit. Sorry guys. :oops:

Martina
You can see my photos at------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40007483@N05/

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Don't appologise Martina, you make some very valid points.

This 'expert knows best' attitude is creeping into all aspects of modern life; from what to feed your child to which colour goes with which. The nanny state (all of 'em!) dictates that your house must be painted magnolia even if you love scarlet, you must wear mini skirts even if you're a 15st (210lb) chav, must plonk your kid infront of the telly even if you'd rather read a book together etc, etc, etc

Individuality is frowned on & we are told that doing stuff for yourself is second rate. I wholeheartily disagree so I'm classed as weird! But hey, I found ISH, so at least I know I'm not the only one who thinks like that. :cheers:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funny, isn't it, how all governments come up with things like this (which was mooted ages ago) when they're in trouble elsewhere?

All part of the Great Distraction (and doubly disgusting for being so).

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the not minding my long posts, MW!

oooh, MKG, I had forgotten all about your governments spending scandal/situation. How delightfully devious of them :cussing:

Martina
You can see my photos at------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40007483@N05/

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Playing devil's advocate: The mandatory addition of vitamin D to margarine has really helped in preventing rickets in children. Over here in the Netherlands, rickets/rachitis is called the English Disease!

I know: if people ate butter from grass fed cows and lots of fatty fish, they wouldn't need the supplement, but budgetary and environmental concerns may well be a hurdle for that strategy.

I'd be against the proposal for mandatory addition of folic acid, as I deem there are significant risks in vitamin overdosing on 'fortified' foods. Much better to supplement a deficient diet with a single all round multivitamin if you need to. Still, I can see where the reasoning comes from.

Jandra

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It seems to me that this issue is exactly the same as the one rosendula posted a couple of months ago about the HPV jab.

While I'm sure the timing is quite deliberate and they hope deflects from other issues, the policies are those of a supposedly 'caring' government at the end of it's ideas - the Tory equivalent was Major's "cone hotline" (I don't think the Tories in that Tatcherite era gave a toss about being seen as caring) - remember that, and I'm sure there were others.

Such legislation is often hasty and ill-conceived but is aimed at protecting the most vulnerable in society. Education takes too long and is too expensive - I guess they want the same as much of the rest of society, a quick fix.

At it's best it can be beneficial - adding vitaminss to white flour margarine have undoubtedly improved the health of many. Of course they should eat organic wholefoods, but they don't. I'm constantly stunned how few people actually cook anything at all - other than heating in the microwave, or eat anything raw, unless it's pre-washed and put in a plastic pot with its own plastic spoon and a highly dubious plastic-wrapped dressing.

I don't know the full information about the pros and cons of adding folic acid, and I'm certain the journalist didn't either. My knee-jerk re-action is "oh no not something else" but then I don't eat any of the things they add these supplements to. Maybe if they are a large part of people's diet then they need those supplements, and by the back door. I'm guessing that many people wouldn't take a supplement even if provided it free although I agree Jandra that it might be a more sensible option.

Spina bifida is on the rise in Scotland, I don't know why, but I'm guessing that 21st century diets and high levels of alcohol use play at least some part. Of course, no-one is exploring the environmental influences, or any of the other variables that may be involved. Again it would take too long and be too costly - so they're back to what they can do as quickly and cheaply as possible.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Muscroj
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

most breakfast cereals have been supplemented with a host of vitamins, including folic acid, for years.

I eat a fairly healthy diet, I cook from scratch, I don't use sauces from jars or packets, or eat ready meals & only have the occasional take away. When I fell pregnant, unexpectedly, with my 3rd child I panicked over the fact that I'd not been taking a folic acid supplement. When I tried to tot up the amount of folic acid that I probably consumed in a day it fell short of the recommended daily amount of 200 micro grammes and WELL short of the amount recommended during pregnancy of 400 micro grammes. I was glad of the supplements that are added to my morning bowl of cornflakes as it was the one source that I was getting in any quantity on a regular basis.
Fortunately I have recently had my 20 week scan & it did not detect any spinal defects, I don't know if I would have been able to forgive myself if it had.

Whilst I can understand peoples concerns over adding folic acid to ALL bread, I think it would be a good idea to add it to the majority of cheap white sliced loaves that the majority of people on a low budget & poor diet would be buying. I think the key is to give people a 'choice', rather than forcing it on everyone.
Jo

Do the best that you can do & be the best you can be

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Muscroj wrote:I think it would be a good idea to add it to the majority of cheap white sliced loaves that the majority of people on a low budget & poor diet would be buying.
Or just burger buns.
The problem I have with this issue is that any food additive consumed on a regular basis should be at the choice of the consumer.
It should be every consumer's right to have access to unadulterated food and not just us weirdo's that do our own thing.
I know it sounds like a good thing, but then so did Thalidomide.

As an aside, I remember a few years ago when my OH's company were researching the American market for their seafood ready meals, they were delighted to find that many new houses being built in the US had a kitchen as an "optional extra".
Tony