I'm glad I make my own bread.

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I'm glad I make my own bread.

Millymollymandy wrote:Oh I agree with you but I hate the holey bread as you're paying for a crust you can't get your teeth through and a big hole in the middle! :banghead:
Isn't that a Polo?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Oh we are all so witty at the moment! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

I realise this thread is a little 'old' but it has only just come to my attention.

Just to add: B vitamins work together with each other and they need to be in proper amounts in relation to each other to do that properly. To add a single B vit (and a synthetic one at that) to bread, is just plain stupid and can cause all kinds of problems for those who dont need it too - such as the elderly, where it masks the B12 deficiencies.

Leave the supplements to the pregnant women (I took it when I was pregnant) - and then only if they test as positively needing it.

The notion of getting it from our foods, unless we grow our own and take care of the soil, then supermarket veggies are also denuded of nutritional value as there is no goodness in the land to tranfer to the plant. I take regular supplements of all manner of vitamins, but make sure they are balanced with each other. Best and most balanced supplement for B vits is brewers' yeast, in my opinion.

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The problem is that many women aren't preparing themselves for conception with folic acid supplements or taking them once they are pregnant. There have also been suggestions in the past few years that folic acid can help men's fertility. On this topic I am happy for shop bought bread to be fortified if it reduces the chance of a child being born with a condition which could have been prevented (of course I make my own bread and have take folic acid supplements since we started trying to conceive and will continue to take them whilst I breastfeed our child who is due in 7 weeks time).

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

What bothers me is mass medicating the entire population with something that has no proven benefits to many and has been shown to have detrimental effects on some.

Same with fluoride!

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Odsox wrote:The problem I have with this issue is that any food additive consumed on a regular basis should be at the choice of the consumer.
Well said.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Glen Gilchrist
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

RuthG wrote:What bothers me is mass medicating the entire population with something that has no proven benefits to many and has been shown to have detrimental effects on some.

Same with fluoride!
Mass medicating - I feel the same with the HPV vaccine. Have you seen the letters that go out to the school children. The letter exhalts the virtues of the jab - but nowhere in the literature does it mention that having a monogomous relationship with someone who only has you as a sexual partner - hence cannot be a carrier of the virus, then you don't need the vaccine. Only if you intend to have multiple partners, who themselves had have multiple partners, is the vaccine valid.

My wife thinks that we in the uk are a big experiment in a conspiracy between the big pharmaceutical companies, the government and probably the Pope!

Glen
Entropy - it's not what it used to be.
Blogging at: www.glengilchrist.co.uk

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Glen, it's probably true to some extent with all vaccines. There are those (I was not one of them) who did not have their children vaccinated because they believe it is better to develop natural immunity.

Glen Gilchrist

Hi

Ditto - our children are vaccine free.

My concern is the manipulation of perception of risk. How come we have the worst teenage pregnancies in Europe? We have the worst excluded children, the most self harmers and in the international ranking of education we are behind Poland and the Ukraine!!

And I say that as a teacher....

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not to be argumentative, but what if you had enough bad luck to end up in a monogamous relationship with one of the few people who contract HPV during their own birth? Or had caught it from a previous girlfriend through mutual masturbation? Obviously I'm not going to be promoting sleeping around, but when you're a kid, even when you're an adult, you don't know what the future will bring.

Glen Gilchrist

chickenchargrill wrote:Not to be argumentative, but what if you had enough bad luck to end up in a monogamous relationship with one of the few people who contract HPV during their own birth? Or had caught it from a previous girlfriend through mutual masturbation? Obviously I'm not going to be promoting sleeping around, but when you're a kid, even when you're an adult, you don't know what the future will bring.
Agree - my point was that nowhere in the literature that is handed out, is monogamy etc actually mentioned. The so called fact sheets are missing some facts.

I can't help but feel manipulated somewhat....

Glen

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Odsox wrote:
Muscroj wrote:I think it would be a good idea to add it to the majority of cheap white sliced loaves that the majority of people on a low budget & poor diet would be buying.
Or just burger buns.
The problem I have with this issue is that any food additive consumed on a regular basis should be at the choice of the consumer.
It should be every consumer's right to have access to unadulterated food and not just us weirdo's that do our own thing.
I know it sounds like a good thing, but then so did Thalidomide.

As an aside, I remember a few years ago when my OH's company were researching the American market for their seafood ready meals, they were delighted to find that many new houses being built in the US had a kitchen as an "optional extra".
an optional extra??? :pale: good grief
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.