One bin, one year, one family. Hooray.

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Keaniebean
A selfsufficientish Regular

One bin, one year, one family. Hooray.

I switched on the news this morning and saw an article about a family of four who were having their bin emptied for the first time in a year, I think they were from Gloustershire, but I was still a bit bleary eyed so I cant be sure.

Well done to them, hopefully it will inspire others to do the same. I tried this for a while after reading a thread on this forum and found it so hard, but i'll give it a go again. I have to try and make up for my neighbours who dont even bother recycling, lazy s$%^^%%*&^(%$%$)^_)*&*& :angryfire:

Did anyone else see it?
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: One bin, one year, one family. Hooray.

I saw a part of that too. Amazing - and it was an old galvanised dustbin, not a big wheely bin.

I was a bit dismayed they were still using bought in curry sauces, but one step at a time eh? The woman said they'd stopped buying bread and biscuits and were making them instead so it sounds like they're on a similar journey to many of us.

Good on 'em. :cheers: :iconbiggrin:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

I know this lady and she's great. Definitely on an Ish journey. Her blog is at http://myzerowaste.com/ and there's loads of helpful articles and discussions on there too.
Liz

Keaniebean

The website looks good, I'm going to have more of a nose round that a bit later.

I just had a rather unsucessful shopping trip to T£$(0, I'm finding it hard to buy British, preferably organic, have little or even zero packaging that would need to go to landfil and buy low fat or healthy options on most things.
I find the other ones ie. Sainsbugs certainly better for British produce, but things like meat and cheese all come so packaged and finding a good local butcher round us which you wouldnt have to remortgage your house for is just an ask too much :roll: .
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yeah, I'm also finding the packaging difficult, it just seems that *everything* has so much. I've written to shops, tried changing the things we buy and where from, but it is so frustrating and makes shopping much harder than it needs to be. Would a few paper or cornstarch (compostable) bags in supermarkets really be so hard?
Liz

Evelyn J
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I saw this on the news and was "GREEN" with envy, i thought i was doing well only using 1/2 a bin bag a week, If shops sold things like oven chips and bread in biodegraidable bags i would be land filling even less.

I also am at the mercy of the supermarket for meat as our butchers prices are way beyond my budget, but i do reuse the trays for loads of things.

And i simpothise with the feeling some of you have that you have to try so much harder to try and compensate for your lazy stupid *@<?!?****>>< neighbours, my neighbours actualy make fun of me for recycling and have shouted D head at me when i put my recycling bins out!!

Eve

Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

That's awful! Still, at least your conscience is clear as you know you are doing what you can right now and always moving forward with your Ish activities! They must be uncomfortable with themselves at some level if they can be bothered to have such an extreme reaction to what you do!
Liz

southeast-isher

here's the story on the bbc:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8483320.stm

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

SusieGee wrote:They ruined it all for me by using jars of ready made curry sauce :banghead: and its so easy to make! ah well if that's their only vice I suppose I can forgive them. Certainly something to think about - I wonder what my butcher would say if I took my own containers, should give it a try.
...but...but...but ... if it's the one I'm thinking of, you can't blame them. When I bought a dozen jars, it cost 12p per jar (about three months ago) and I believe it's even cheaper now. You can't make it for that. Mind you, they should have been keeping the jars for jam, pickles etc.

Can't have everything, I suppose.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy

I saw it too and was a bit surprised that they can be sooooo Ish in one way and not in another. :dontknow:

Personally I'd rather throw out more rubbish and eat more 'proper' food.

Oh, hang on, I already do. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

prison break fan

Absolutely agree with Millymollymandy! Curry sauce in jars! it might only be 12p, but what's in it? pbf.

Keaniebean

I think if we actually knew what was in it, then for 12p or not no one with any decent taste buds would go near it with a barge pole. :lol: :lol:

I think I tried it once as a student, it was a bit like pot noodles and Angel Delight...............NEVER AGAIN :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:

You could make a better one with just a tin of chopped tomatoes and some ready mixed spices, that are so easy to get hold of these days.
Sarah.x

Millymollymandy

Hey I like Angel Delight but wouldn't fancy the taste of it mixed with pot noodles! :lol:

I can't imagine getting ANYTHING for 12p, food or otherwise. :shock:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Keaniebean

It is hard to think of anything for 12p these days.

Even penny sweets seem to be astronomical, and certainly not pennies. Not that I've bought any for a long long time.

As to Angel Delight, it just brings back bad child hood memories of a dinner lady forcing me to eat it with semolina. Sends shivers down my spine :tongue6:
Sarah.x

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

My gal has been living on A$DAs 9p noodles and 26p jars of sauce (obviously the expensive alternative! :lol: ).

She wondered why she felt well while staying here over Christmas :roll: :dontknow:

MMM - when did you get your tastebuds removed :lol: Angel delight tastes like soap and makes me :pukeright:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin