solar power = wallet-friendly in 2013

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Turtuga Blanku
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

solar power = wallet-friendly in 2013

"solar power is going to be the wallet-friendly option as soon as 2013": http://tinyurl.com/3guqxj4

"Once grid parity is reached, it becomes economically stupid for power companies to not be installing large fields of solar panels to generate the cheapest form of available energy."

dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: solar power = wallet-friendly in 2013

I don't believe a word of it. I've been hearing this message for 30 years.

gregorach

I might believe it in areas with high insolation and clear skies, but not up here in Scotland... ;)

And I'm pretty sure the cheapest form of solar is still solar thermal, not solar PV.
Cheers

Dunc

stevetc
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Mate, okay I'm not a big electric-user, but I spent £350 on a 65w solar panel, and that provides for all my needs at the moment. . . (basically, to be fair, only laptop, mobile, amp, and lighting) . . . In the winter, I have to use the petrol-gennie to make up the slack, maybe two litres a week . . .

Tho I have to say, it's easier for me - not got kids. . .

LHemphillix
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 37 N
longitude: 121 W

I believe this. The cost per KWH of solar power has been coming down a lot lately and at the same time the price of oil has been going up. It can't take too much longer before the two lines cross. Green energy is definitely the wave of the future, with peak oil driving up oil prices and all the trouble with nuclear power recently, i.e. the Japanese meltdown. It's definitely something who's time has come, and I for one say it's about damned time.