should junk food be outlawed????

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: should junk food be outlawed????

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Ah but you see we have Buckfast Wine, and you won't get Scotland out of bed witout a bottle or two of buckie!

This is very sensible use of debate I think.

Everyone Mocks McDonalds as shite, but I honestly think they haven't even tasted them, it's an "elitist" attitude. The burgers are beef, the bread is nice, and the taste is good. Yes it's processed food, but eaten once or twice a year what the hell is wrong with that?

Chips are fattening, could be considered Junk, but they could be home grown potatoes cooked in Sunflower Oil, that isn't really processed, but still junk. Frozen Veg, peeled, and prepared, still 100% veg, what ban that as it's too easy? Tins or beans, dehydrated cous cous or TVP,too processed, Junk, to be banned? No obviously not. Homemade Pizza, Junk? What if it's just Fresh Tomato and herbs, homemade cheese?

"I am self sufficient, you're not, you're wrong I am right nehnehnehnehneh....."

Next thing you know you will be juicing everything and setting out for world boredomation.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:02 pm

boboff wrote:Ah but you see we have Buckfast Wine, and you won't get Scotland out of bed witout a bottle or two of buckie!

This is very sensible use of debate I think.

Everyone Mocks McDonalds as shite, but I honestly think they haven't even tasted them, it's an "elitist" attitude. The burgers are beef, the bread is nice, and the taste is good. Yes it's processed food, but eaten once or twice a year what the hell is wrong with that?

Chips are fattening, could be considered Junk, but they could be home grown potatoes cooked in Sunflower Oil, that isn't really processed, but still junk. Frozen Veg, peeled, and prepared, still 100% veg, what ban that as it's too easy? Tins or beans, dehydrated cous cous or TVP,too processed, Junk, to be banned? No obviously not. Homemade Pizza, Junk? What if it's just Fresh Tomato and herbs, homemade cheese?

"I am self sufficient, you're not, you're wrong I am right nehnehnehnehneh....."

Next thing you know you will be juicing everything and setting out for world boredomation.

I have to admit their fries are ok. But the burgers.....no..not to me. Burgerking....now that's a different sort of animal totally. :icon_smile:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Again, it's simple.

Nothing needs to be banned or outlawed, restricted or confiscated. No Softyville required.

Just make it accountable.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

osmunda
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Referring back to the original post, What is Junk Food? The only food I would ban is food that is not fit for consumption through contamination or poor hygiene. I think banning anything just makes it more appealing, like illegal drugs, alcohol prohibition in the US. Banning doesn't work, education and choice are what is needed. Unfortunately heavily processed food is often cheap and easy to bring to the table and if kids are brought up on that kind of diet then they don't know any different. Maybe bringing back proper cooking lessons for all in school using cheaper cuts of meat, pulses and vegetables. Once they taste real well cooked food then a lot of the cheap processed stuff will lose it's appeal.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 pm

osmunda wrote:Referring back to the original post, What is Junk Food? The only food I would ban is food that is not fit for consumption through contamination or poor hygiene. I think banning anything just makes it more appealing, like illegal drugs, alcohol prohibition in the US. Banning doesn't work, education and choice are what is needed. Unfortunately heavily processed food is often cheap and easy to bring to the table and if kids are brought up on that kind of diet then they don't know any different. Maybe bringing back proper cooking lessons for all in school using cheaper cuts of meat, pulses and vegetables. Once they taste real well cooked food then a lot of the cheap processed stuff will lose it's appeal.

Couldn't agree more :thumbright:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

Lost-in-the-Day
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:49 pm

should junk food be outlawed????

Nah. 1) Let people take some responsibility for themselves and their lifestyles. If they want to pay good money for poor quality food and/or eat too much junk food then that's their look out. 2) Big brother already controls enough of our lives, why let them have even more?
Stop Animal Cruelty this Christmas- http://lost-in-the-day.blogspot.com/201 ... stmas.html

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:46 pm

boboff wrote:Chips are fattening, could be considered Junk, but they could be home grown potatoes cooked in Sunflower Oil,

When I compared the amount of fat I use to make chips with the amount of butter I add to a jacket potato, the chips came out as the low-fat option - that must make them practically a health food! :wink:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Return to “I read the news today, oh boy.”