Marijuana

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Marijuana

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?JZMJQ Canadian pot use four times global rate

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OOSRG Reconsider pot prohibition, international panel urges Harper

Marijuana use in Canada is the highest in the industrialized world and more than four times the global rate, according to a report from the United Nations.

UN Office on Drugs and Crime said that 16.8% of Canadians aged 15 to 64 smoked marijuana.

The Canadian statistics (16.8%) compared to 8.7% in England and Wales, 12.6% in the United States, 8.5% in Israel; 10.7% in Jamaica (2001), and 6.1% in the Netherlands (2001), where possession and use of the drug is legal.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Marijuana

Ah - now I understand why KeithBC lives on a pleasant island off the coast of British Columbia.

But seriously, Durgan, the article you quote (based on 2004/5 figures) actually reports a general decline in cannabis use.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

gregorach

It can certainly make a big difference to the cash-flow situation of a smallholder... :wink:
Cheers

Dunc

Durgan

MKG wrote:Ah - now I understand why KeithBC lives on a pleasant island off the coast of British Columbia.

But seriously, Durgan, the article you quote (based on 2004/5 figures) actually reports a general decline in cannabis use.

Mike
Mere window dressing the decline a few percent at most.. The big issue is the money chasing prohibition. One figure I had once was 7 billion per year chasing as 5 billion industry. This was several years ago. The justice system uses too many resources involving marijuana.

I don't suppose more people would partake if the plants was simply removed from the forbidden list. At the present time unlawful use supports a huge illegal industry. In BC pot is a larger industry than the forestry industry. The jails particularly in the USA are full of pot criminals, and Canada's CPC government has recently passed a crime bill to achieve the same result. Present initiatives are not achieving the espoused desired result. Compared to alcohol use, marijuana is relatively insignificant as regards harmful effects.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Couldn't agree with you more, Durgan. For a moment there, I thought you were going off on the opposite tack. Not that long ago, laudanum was absolutely legal in Britain. We had our share of abusers - but certainly not a significant proportion of the population - but illegality didn't change that. In fact, it appears to have made it worse (not for laudanum, obviously, but certainly for related substances).

The use of mood alterers/enhancers would appear to be a very basic human thing.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

boboff

Isn't one of the side effects paranoia Durgan?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Durgan

boboff wrote:Isn't one of the side effects paranoia Durgan?
Another benefit of marijuana use.

boboff

Oh well thats ok.
Personally I never touch the stuff, bad experience as a teen ( got stoned and lost my rent money!)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

gregorach

boboff wrote:Isn't one of the side effects paranoia Durgan?
Are you trying to imply something, or am I just being paranoid? :wink:
Cheers

Dunc

southeast-isher

Marijuana is a performance enhancing drug and it's been proven to make male's genitals grow bigger as well as improving confidence, making you smile, and look people straight in the eyes.

Durgan

Certainly I have been exposed to marijuana most of my life and know where to purchase some even today. I have never partaken, not even as much as Billy Clinton did. You know, puff but not inhale. Not because of high moral values for I don't know the meaning of the term, but I had enough trouble with tobacco and alcohol and was not about to take on a third problem.

I have often attended parties where marijuana was being smoked.The first party, I thought wow, this will be fun. The desirable women simply sat on the couch and became zombies.No sexual activity there. Conversation was about the level of a pub crawl. When I take something I want to feel alive not a zombie, or increase endurance, or achieve something desirable. This drug sure didn't appear beneficial to me from observation, hence I never got involved.

One other observation was when driving another person stoned in the car across city streets. He was constantly stiffening up, when I approached red lights and admonished me to be careful and slow down. I was stone sober and at first was confused by the reaction. Upon close questioning, I discovered that his depth perception was totally our of whack. Apparently the vehicle in front appeared to be very much closer than it was actually to this stoned passenger.

After that babble, I still believe people who want to go into mental dreamland should be accommodated without hassle. There are certainly some vocations and avocations where slinking out is more than desirable. Church for example. Marijuana may be more beneficial than alcohol in many cases.

gregorach

Well, you know, like alcohol, a lot of people are silly with it... Especially as youngsters.
Cheers

Dunc

John Headstrong

saw this today.
Spanish town of Rasquera leases land for marijuana plantation
Town's mayor says scheme, which is legal, is chance to bring in money and create jobs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ma ... plantation
which is better way to make money than drilling for oil, fracking or selling weapons.

The Riff-Raff Element

It seems fairly clear that prohibition is not working and nor is it likely too.

There are other incentives to take control of the cultivation, refining and marketing of narcotics in general and these include the impact on crime and anti-social behaviour. A lot of stoners like to pretend that their habit is a victimless crime, but in Central America alone there have been around 150,000 homicides related directly to the trafficking of drugs (including Mexican marijuana) since 1990. That is without considering the impact that dealers and users can have in their own neighbourhoods in the end-user nations.

Since narcotics could be supplied at higher quality and lower cost via official channels (even allowing for a healthy tax take), the logic behind doing this seems irresistible. Coupled with some sober & objective health advice and some sensible laws about usage when driving or caring for the vulnerable and I think we'd have a winner here.

Just for the record, I have, but I don't any longer: my reality is interesting enough not to require enhancing beyond the odd glass of wine. But I incline to a libertarian view where other people are concerned.

osmunda
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Banning anything just makes it more attractive especially to younger people. I'd love to see all drug use decriminalised just to get rid of the criminal element and all the drug related crime. I know there would be some casualties but I think I'd rather see people buying a pure product with some idea of how much to take, and buying it from a chemist than off a street corner where they have no idea what is in it and are funding a line of criminals making millions.
I too have enjoyed a few joints in the past but prefer to live in the real world these days. Each to their own though, whether it's a joint or a drink sometimes people need the oblivion it can bring, hopefully just on the odd occasion.