ban on homeopathy for animals, but not humans!

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

ban on homeopathy for animals, but not humans!

here is a link to an article in the guardian : http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/polit ... ption-pets

this happened a while ago but i just came across it again so though id let you guys know.

they've banned the use of homoeopathic treatments on animals.
they haven't yet, however, banned the use of homoeopathic treatments on humans, or at the very least, stopped funding them on the NHS which we all have to pay taxes for?? ( not me any more though as i left the country :rabbit: )
its a scandal! :shock:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ban on homeopathy for animals, but not humans!

I have to say you do like "banning" things Demi. :iconbiggrin:
I haven't read the article and have no thoughts either way on homoeopathy, but you have to remember that humans have a choice, domestic animals don't.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I knew someone once who was heavily into homeopathy. His mother was a homeopath. He was the healthiest bloke i'd ever known.
I take urtica when i get urticaria attacks. It slows it down a lot quicker than the mountains of anithistamines do! I don't know how it works, all i know is that it does.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Odsox wrote:I have to say you do like "banning" things Demi. :iconbiggrin:
I haven't read the article and have no thoughts either way on homoeopathy, but you have to remember that humans have a choice, domestic animals don't.
yes humans do have a choice but i dont want to have to pay for it on the NHS and i know theres loads more people who agree.
why are we throwing money, especially now when purse strings need to be tightened, at something that doesnt work.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

I know a French doctor who prescribes homoeopathic remedies like smarties. I confess I'm a bit hazy about how (if at all) these are refunded by the health insurance here: I must check. Anyway, he only prescribes them to people who come to him who have nothing wrong with them claiming that "ineffective medicines are ideal for hypochondriacs. It makes them feel better at very little trouble or expense to anyone and provides employment for people who make milk sugar."

I'm not a fan. But I know people who swear blind that it works for them.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Noooo! You can't take my homoeopathic teething powder away from us. I won't have it :p

Seriously, don't know why, wouldn't go for homoeopathy under any other circumstances, it works, much better than bonjela. I don't know whether there's something about lactose powder dissolving that eases the gums, but not only does Dexter become less irritated, the redness and physical symptoms decrease.

You know why I wouldn't ban it for humans most of all? Because the brain is a powerful thing and belief can heal so much, not everything obviously. Someone believes that Bach remedy works for their panic attacks, it may well and it's much better they take that than pop a diazepam. Surely it's better to fund a placebo that works than give people drugs? If the NHS funds homeopathic Arnica and the patient manages to quit smoking with that as a psychological aid, how is that wrong?

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I feel the same way about the Urtica as you do about the teething powder!!

There is no way on earth that you can say I make it up when I have an attack. It comes out of the blue, no reason (called idiopathic for a reason...). But when it does attack, Urtica definitely works quicker and better than antihistamines. I give it a day or two of antihistamines (those one-a-day things - I take 2 every 4 hours...), if that doesn't work, I break out the urtica, 2 tablets every 4 hours, leave them to dissolve. The itchyness and the redness soon shifts! With the homeopathic remedy, an attack lasts maybe a week. With just antihistmines, it can easily last 10 days. 10 long, uncomfortable days...

gregorach

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:Anyway, he only prescribes them to people who come to him who have nothing wrong with them claiming that "ineffective medicines are ideal for hypochondriacs. It makes them feel better at very little trouble or expense to anyone and provides employment for people who make milk sugar."
I have to admit that I can see the argument there. It's a bit iffy from a medical ethics point of view though...
Cheers

Dunc

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm puzzled. Why is extract of nettle being used as a homeopathic remedy when it would surely be cheaper and easier (and, arguably, more effective) to use it as a straightforward herbal remedy?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

gregorach

MKG wrote:I'm puzzled. Why is extract of nettle being used as a homeopathic remedy when it would surely be cheaper and easier (and, arguably, more effective) to use it as a straightforward herbal remedy?

Mike
Because "homeopathy" sells better.
Cheers

Dunc

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thought that might be the answer.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

The Riff-Raff Element

And there's always the danger that a herbal remedy might actually work. Look at St John's Wort: one day peasant superstition, the next a bona fide treatment for depression.

The Riff-Raff Element

gregorach wrote:
I have to admit that I can see the argument there. It's a bit iffy from a medical ethics point of view though...
A tad perhaps. But I feel the "fluffier" points of medical ethics (and bedside manners) are oft lost in France

"Pouf! I come. I examine you in your unfashionable pyjamas for a complaint that is so common as to be frankly beneath my status as a médicin, I give you the suppositories as regulated by modern science, all for a miserable €22 and on top of that you expect sympathy?? I do not think so, person of no education and terrible wardrobe!"

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

I think that the Doctor in France image you portray is rather unfair, and I would put another side to the Image. My Dr, who has been my doctor for 18 years, make house calls, and on one occasion made a night time call 2.45 and sat for 40 mins beside my OH after giving an her injection, "just to make sure".
Monday is her day for visiting her "old folk" at home, she know all the kids names in the village, although she live's and practices 10 miles away. I could go on, but I think that in common with most place's be it France , England or any other part of the world that there is good and bad.

Eddy
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Helsbells

I banged my forehead just above my eye brow on a door frame a few years ago, it reeeeeally hurt, I slapped some arnica cream on it and I didn't get a bruise or anything, I am sure I should have had a black eye.
Also, I take nettle tea for hayfever, it really helps.