Badger cull debate

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Badger cull debate

MKG wrote:

A number of farmers are pulling out their hair and jumping wildy up and down insisting that they know that badgers are to blame. Those same farmers are the ones who know that red kites, sparrowhawks, ospreys and any other bird which doesn't sit in a bush tweeting sweetly are enemies of the world order and existence as a whole. Kill 'em, they say (the raptors, that is, not the farmers - but hey!). Well, it's their land, and wild animals have no right to be there, have they?

Why don't we just get rid of the lot? Everything - rodents, birds, amphibians, reptiles, mammals - except the ones which farmers, DEFRA and the Countryside Alliance (have I spelled that right?) designate as useful. What a wonderful, disease-free environment we'll have then. At least, until another government-funded research station decides to pour crap down its drains. Must have been a badger working there at the time.

Mike
There has always been some elements of that in the countryside since way back.To be fair,many farmers do not fall into that category,but the change from 'farm' to 'agribusiness' has certainly ensured it's growth.....it's not just urban dwellers that have a growing disconnect with the land.
What I find staggering is the sheer incompetence, in PR terms, of outfits like the NFU; Milk prices are too low,in many cases below the cost of production. Only pressure from Joe Public will persuade the Supermarkets that they can afford to pay more for the milk ,because the consumer doesn't mind paying more if the dairyman can stay in business.SO Said Dairymen support shooting Joe Public's favourite cuddly animal !!!! You couldn't make it up!!!!

gregorach

boboff wrote:Badger in wind in the willows is very high and mighty and know it all, and for that reason alone I think a cull is in order!

Dunc?
What?
Cheers

Dunc

boboff

Apparently the people who fly the planes in this country are very relieved that they have decided to delay the Pilot culling, apparently a problem with fog and French Strike action is to blame.......

Yes I am officially old now, as I am using Ken Bruce's material as my own!

I also liked Dunc's joke too!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

marshlander

Well I'm pleased but will this delay just sidestroke the controversy off the court into the long grass in the hope it's forgotten?
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:Good Lord! Is it possible that the scale of (literate) public opinion has had an effect?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... or-setback

Either that or the Tory backwoodsmen have finally realised that this particular slaughter won't involve hunting pink and have gone all lukewarm on the idea.

Sadly not. It seems that this was not a response to the massive public outcry and consequent parliamentary debate scheduled for this Thursday, but a response to a request by the NFU for a delay.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

oldjerry

Best part of a year nearer an election.......watch this space!!!!!!

Boboff, Badger 1 Weasels 0 ( latest score .)