Fight obesity like tobacco

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Fight obesity like tobacco

Fight obesity like tobacco = denormalise fat people.

boboff

Well said Yvette.

You see Jerry, you never killed the thread!

I think Durgan has summed this up for me, his belief that Moderation is NOT a very strong human characteristic, is fundamentally the opposite of what I feel. Moderation is choice, it's freedom to choose when and what you do.

I can't really say, as I enjoy all those things which are bad for me, drinking, smoking, steaming Goosefat Roasted Kind Edward Potatoes, fluffed and made crisp served with Pink Beef, thick roasted onion gravy and a Yorkshire Pudding the size of a small county, not just festively you understand, last night we had it as it was the end of our holiday. We all sat at the table, and enjoyed our food, talked, laughed, and went to bed happy. Now I know I was actually insidiously undermining my childrens health I feel quite distraught!

Still they'll get over it.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I don't believe parents should be punnished for fattening up their kids. As i said before, schools should take more responcibility to provode healthy meals and snacks in schools and ban junk food on the premissis, along with increasing physical activity to daily classes instead of once a week ( which is what i got in school ). And parents of obese children should be targeted for advice on healthy eating, support and even phycological treatment to try to overcome the reasons for over eating. This is a public health issue and things should be in place to help overweight families.

Also, why don't DEFRA ( would it be DEFRA :dontknow: ) just ban or create a limit of how much high fructose corn syrup and other unhealthy ingridients can be used in food products. There should be more regulations in place restricting how much crap they put in food. More emphasis should be made on healthy food and the fast food/TV dinner/junk food industries should all lower their unhealthy ingridients and increece the healthy ones. Then maybe a microwave dinner from the supermarket would actually be healthy and nutritious and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Edit :

Another thing, cannabis is a plant which is harmelss and even has benificial medical uses. It relieves things like chronic pain, nausia and increases appitite which is benificial to very sick people who are unable to eat eg. cancer patiants and anorexic sufferers. There has been no cases of overdose or death from canabis. It is a very safe drug which a large number of the world wide population uses, for recreational and medical porposes. Yet is it illegal. http://norml.org/library/health-reports ... law-reform

There are over 400,000 deaths per year related to poor diet and physical inactivity: http://www.healthteacher.com/content/id/69/topic/7
Yet the government do nothing to restrict those ingirdients present in 'junk food' which are contributing to the problems.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

demi wrote:And parents of obese children should be targeted for advice on healthy eating, support and even phycological treatment to try to overcome the reasons for over eating. This is a public health issue and things should be in place to help overweight families.
This is the point where the State starts to interfere just a little too much. I agree that schools should have to meet minimum standards of nutrition on the food provided in their canteen (it is the case in many places already) and I don't think it would be unreasonable to forbid the sale of sweets and sodas on the premises, but could that be extended to packed lunches? Or to kids going off site for lunch?

The idea of a diet Gestapo going around to peoples' houses and "counselling" them horrifies me, frankly.

Provide people with information, sure. Perhaps even levy a tax on foods that contain high levels of HFCS and / or palm oil or fail to meet certain nutritional criteria to fund it - I think I'd go along with that. But once people have the information they have to be left to do what they wish with it.

EDIT: The safety or otherwise of cannabis is still a matter of considerable debate. I'm not sure bringing it up in this thread is entirely relevant, but certainly in the days of my youth when I indulged I seem to recall it bringing on considerable craving for Hobnob biscuits, kebabs, chocolate, processed cheese and all manner of wildly unhealthy crap. I don't recall ever munching my way through a couple of pounds of apples. From a dietary standpoint, dope is a disaster :mrgreen:

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

better information is valuable but allowing big companies (you know the ones, companies who over process their food so much they have to add vitamins back in to make it "healthy")

giving everyone those facts about food will give people a more informed choice and we all know the better educated a person is the better choices they make.

I've always said even for those who have the knowledge it isnt easy when advice is conflicting esp when it comes to selling a product. THIS is where the state should step in. reigning in the use of the 5-a-day thing. the use of the words "healthy" "good for you" "beneficial" they are emotive words used cleverly by producers.

perhaps if food went the same way as the proposals for cigarette packets - plain packaging with just a brand name in the same font - it would make junk food less appealing.

sadly it wont work so the only thing we have is good education and giving Information freely without the input of big companies is all we can do.

oldjerry

boboff wrote:
I can't really say, as I enjoy all those things which are bad for me, drinking, smoking, steaming Goosefat Roasted Kind Edward Potatoes, fluffed and made crisp served with Pink Beef, thick roasted onion gravy and a Yorkshire Pudding the size of a small county, not just festively you understand, last night we had it as it was the end of our holiday. We all sat at the table, and enjoyed our food, talked, laughed, and went to bed happy. Now I know I was actually insidiously undermining my childrens health I feel quite distraught!

Still they'll get over it.
:occasion9:

Spot on. As the saying goes,:Eat all the right things,Avoid all harmfull substances and exercise regularly,with any luck you'll live to be 90..

And even if you dont, It'll feel like you have...

And while we're at it,What's so great about Moderation????.......( I fully accept that the Mods on this site are in fact totally brilliant,before you all start...)

boboff

Have you noticed you only see Fat People walking and eating at the same time?

Seriously next time you are in town check out people you see eating they are always Fat.

Thats where moderation comes in, where you have to walk and eat at the same time.

The saying with food and moderation is summed up by the choice you make " you either eat to live or live to eat" Given you have to eat to live you might as well make it something you enjoy.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

The Riff-Raff Element

boboff wrote: Thats where moderation comes in, where you have to walk and eat at the same time.
Eating and walking simultaneously to save time? What a work ethic! Which is why you seldom - if ever - see the French eating in the street. No proper work ethic, you see, so they sit down to eat.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

[quote="berry"]better information is valuable but allowing big companies (you know the ones, companies who over process their food so much they have to add vitamins back in to make it "healthy")

giving everyone those facts about food will give people a more informed choice and we all know the better educated a person is the better choices they make.

I've always said even for those who have the knowledge it isnt easy when advice is conflicting esp when it comes to selling a product. THIS is where the state should step in. reigning in the use of the 5-a-day thing. the use of the words "healthy" "good for you" "beneficial" they are emotive words used cleverly by producers.

Well put. I have enjoyed reading this debate but focusing solely on individual behaviour misses the point of the power of the food corporations who are out to make as much money as possible with no regard for health issues.

They spend millions on advertising their junk food compared to the small amounts spent by Governments on promoting healthy eating. Most people have lost all connection with food and see eating as an inconvienience which must be satisfied as quickly as possible by taking a packet out of the freezer and putting it in the microwave.

The Riff-Raff Element

okra wrote: Most people have lost all connection with food and see eating as an inconvienience which must be satisfied as quickly as possible by taking a packet out of the freezer and putting it in the microwave.
I don't know that people see eating as an inconvenience. I'd suggest that many see preparing food as an inconvenience. The UK, for example (and I'm not having a dig - it just serves to illustrate a point), has one of the highest consumptions of ready meals and take-away food of any nation in the world, much of it probably fairly unhealthy. Yet the sales of cook books and the number of TV programs devoted to food is staggering, far, far, more than we see in France. There's a sort of pervading food voyeurism - watching marvellous food being prepared while eating utter crap - that I've not really encountered elsewhere. Yet.

I say "yet" because I suspect that Britain generally leads the rest of Europe when it comes to lifestyle fashions and I think I'm starting to see the same thing beginning here, just little things like the Master Chef and Bake Off franchises being bought by French TV and a couple of places in our local town that will (for a hefty fee - they haven't quite got the idea so far) deliver a pizza.

Educating people about healthy food is one thing; convincing them that they can afford to cook it both in terms of cost and time is another matter.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

The Riff-Raff Element wrote: The idea of a diet Gestapo going around to peoples' houses and "counselling" them horrifies me, frankly.

Maybe a simple recomendation from the school that they should visit the docter about their weight problems, for the child and for the family if nessesery. Then the family can choose to follow the docters advice or not, or even wither to actually go see the docter or not. If my daughters'school told me they were concedrned about her weight and we should concider visiting to docter for advice and a health check ( for diebetis ect ) that would make me concerned about her health and want to get it checked out. Maybe that would provide the right 'push' for the parents to do the right thing.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

contadina

I think Okra has hit the nail on the head. Only when the mighty food corporations are taken to task over peddling junk food without health warnings on packaging (not unlike tobacco) will the penny drop that a diet consisting of now't but junk is going to lead to health problems.

In the meantime, I think I'll continue to enjoy the odd treat, be it shop-bought or homemade, as total denial/food fascism seems to breed a rather joyless and smug outlook on life.

boboff

Demi they do that already.
In year six they get weighed and BMI taken, and it's kept at school, sent home and to the doctor.
We threw my daughters in the bin, as it said she was Obese, and bought her some sweets.
I do also take exception to Riff Raffs point about Voyeurism of food in the UK.
Sure people buy ready meals, but with everyone working in the house, it saves time, but weekends are for cooking. You only have to actually look at the people in T E S C O of a weekend, to see Dads going round with a recipe printed off from the computer looking for Anchovy paste and Red Pepper corns to know this.
30 years ago blokes didn't cook at home, you were a right lady if you did that, but now it's so different. Most men I meet admit they like cooking, and enjoy it, I had a conversation this week with a Tour Bus Driver, who admitted he had recently started making his own Suchi at home! and he was Scottish! (This was shortly after my children had chips with a Deep Fried Mars bar for Lunch! (OOOOps))

Sure there are families who only ever eat Pizza and takeaway, some who only eat out, but I really think the majority of working and middle class people enjoy cooking and understand food far better than ever, and the increase in nutritional information and traffic lights IS the "health warning" contadina" recommends, and it's been on food in the UK for at least 10 years.

As for the so called "mighty" co's " peddling" Junk..... yeah okay, your left wing views are noted, but aren't really relavant in this debate.

It's all a conspiracy I tells ya!

contadina

Political persuasion has nothing to do with allowing companies to fill their food with with high-fructose corn syrup and other waste products and/or additives without sufficient health warnings. The fact they are allowed put junk foods in packaging with, for example, a sweet old lady, allows them to con people that their product is in fact good for you.

boboff

Yes, we are all mindless idiots who believe little old ladies give a product heritage and status.

It's like that WONGA dot com advert with the two Old Dears lending people money till pay day, they must be doing it for the "love" oh and the 2490% APR............

I do understand what you are saying, and agree it is a form of marketing, which can seem distasteful, but really we do have a choice, and the law in the UK states most things need decent information on fat and sugar levels, and if you taste it and like it, why not?