What's in your daily bread?

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

What's in your daily bread?

New study shows the pesticide Roundup is not properly regulated and appears more often in British bread (in 1/4 of samples ) http://www.soilassociation.org/news/new ... cleid/4620

I glad I make my own with organic flour but it must be dreadful for those who can't for one reason or another get good bread and worry what they're giving their family.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

The Riff-Raff Element

Re: What's in your daily bread?

Oh dear. Glyphosphates like Roundup are considered safe provided that they themselves don't enter the human part of the food chain. They were designed to be used to clear ground which the plant residues being ploughed in (they break up completely in damp soil in a few days) before the crop is planted. What, therefore, are they doing in bread?

One of the key concerns about GM maize is that it is designed to survive applications of Roundup, so it becomes far more likely that the glyphospate will enter the food chain, particularly where the maize is cut green and used to make silage for cattle.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

When you scan through the data, I'm not sure it's glyphosate that leaps off the page. There's a pesticide and a growth regulator that appear to show-up more often.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

If I make my own, sometimes a bit of dog hair.