Pink and Blue

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Pink and Blue

When did pink for girls and blue for boys come about?

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Pink and Blue

Well if wikipedia is anything to go on then it seems to have been made popular in the nineteenth century borrowing on some religious customs although it seems America didn't follow suit until half way through the last century.
Or to be cynical probably pushed when the modern synthetic dyes started to be manufactured .
Anyhoo here's a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink

Pete

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

That was an interesting article.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Any particular reason that this has been on your mind. Not that I'm being nosey of course but I'm sure it must , er , intrigue others :iconbiggrin:

Pete

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't recall now, but it seems that even "these days" there's still a trend for buying pink items, not necessarily just clothes, for girls and blue ones for boys. Although, in some countries, there isn't the feminity associated with pink and men can like it without it being questionable. Even nowadays over here, not every man will wear a pink item of clothing and I feel it's more to do with the girliness associated with it rather than because they wouldn't like to wear it.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Micheal Portillo must be the exception then, he sports some rather nice pastel numbers on his railway journeys prog, including a lovely pink jacket and he's not gay or owt

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

My son aged late 40s still has a pink shirt from his teenage years - used to have a tie that went with it! He's not gay either (his wife wouldn't allow it).

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm not sure it is an 'even these days' problem. I saw something floating around FB a while ago - can only find it on Huff Post now, but quite an interesting graphic!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/0 ... 02972.html
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

My daughter was taking her little girl, (aged 18months) to buy a camping chair. She was quite upset when the little one was insistent on having the pink one :iconbiggrin:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein