What is Britain eating?

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

What is Britain eating?

Just read an article by the guardian about the ingredients of some well known foods. Was disturbed to hear that 72% of your RDA of sugar is in ONE bakewell tart!! I know that processed foods aren't very healthy, especially cakes and biscuits, but oh my word! :shock:
I am Anti: Plastic, Palm Oil, Consumerism, Petrol, Diesel, Capitalism.
I am Pro: Nature, Make Do And Mend, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Fairtrade, Organic.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What is Britain eating?

You had me looking to see what you read. Must be this one.

People don't live in the kitchen and cook. Women's emancipation has a lot to answer for - people now feel that both partners in a household have to work to keep up with the neighbours and a lot of people don't see the value in having a full time house person.

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sorry, I wasn't sure if I should post outside links or not.
The amount of work to be done in a household is never-ending (my bug bears are hoovering and washing up), especially if you have animals and/or children. My plan was to be a stay at home mummy/housewife, but as I'm now single, I may have to reconsider. That would also mean rethinking my plan for homeschooling. :-( Time will tell, I guess.
I think a better balance of duties in couples is better than each having their own sector, as it were, but whatever works for you. I'm into baking, not so much cooking, and my ex was into cooking, but not baking.
I know some women prefer to be out working, and some men don't mind staying home.
If I did go out and work, it would have to be the right type of job for me, or something I can do from home. I really should start to grow some things, as I have a lot of free time currently, and I love nature and being outside. Been thinking of getting a house plant for some time.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

AmalWarrior wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:52 pm Been thinking of getting a house plant for some time.
There you go, all you need to know about growing house plants https://www.selfsufficientish.com/main/ ... e-growing/
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

I love the suggestion of using the pot from the previous store bought dead herbs to grow your own ones in. They never seem to last, do they? I reckon that's deliberate. They'd soon be losing herb sales if everyone grew their own.
We used to grow tomatoes when I was a kid, we also had an apple tree (cooking apples), and brambles at the back of the garden. My mum would make blackberry and apple crumble. We also used to have apple picking parties, cos our tree produced so much. Everyone would be given a bag, and encouraged to pick their own. We also had a few bags that we'd pre-picked for those who couldn't do it. Happy hippy days!

We could've started self-sufficiency then, as we had a large back garden, and we could've had herbs in the front garden.

RenewableCandy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 54

If there's a bigger pot (and some dirt) around, transplanting the store-bought one into that will help it last longer.

(Heck, now I want to eat a cherry bakewell or 12...)
Fantasy novel 'The Price of Time'

Soyez réaliste: demandez l'impossible :sunny:

Website - Blog - Stories

ina

RenewableCandy wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:39 pm If there's a bigger pot (and some dirt) around, transplanting the store-bought one into that will help it last longer.

(Heck, now I want to eat a cherry bakewell or 12...)
Most store-bought herbs can be picked out into several pots and made to last years, if you try... They sow them very densely, so the individual plant doesn't get a chance to develop to their full potential!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)