Lights out!

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I phoned their number that's on the posters advertising the 'turn off' thing. The lady seemed interested, but i don't know if they're going to do anything.

Luckily, the lights haven't actually been off when i've got off the bus yet, so i've not really had cause to really complain properly. I guess i just have to wait and see.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they see sense!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

the.fee.fairy wrote:oooh...how sexy will that look!!
Well maybe not sexy but would you settle for cute? :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

catalyst
Living the good life
Living the good life

i am so glad theres no street lights here (well, not many)
i never realised how many stars there are, until i lived here.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is pretty to see stars, and if i want to particularly go out and star gaze, there is a massive forest a mile down the road.

Through the middle of the village is a very popular road (used to be an A road, now downgraded to a B after the bypass was put in - however, most people still see it as the A and do speeds that match the bypass). The village is also large, and has a population to match. As much as any other place, it has its fair share of 'Orphans' (i love that phrase whoever it was that came up with it!!) and crime. I'd rather not have to walk home at night in the pitch black risking encounters with any of these!!

Sometimes, even though its difficult, you have to balance the beauty of the planet with the safety of it. it would be idyllic to live in a beautiful, safe world where it was safe to walk home in the dark at night, so we could all see the stars. Sadly, real life isn't like that, and precautions must be taken.

Thankfully, the lights still appear to be on at 12:30. I haven't stayed up to see when they go out yet. Maybe the lady on the end of the phone had a word with the powers that be.

catalyst
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sometimes, even though its difficult, you have to balance the beauty of the planet with the safety of it. it would be idyllic to live in a beautiful, safe world where it was safe to walk home in the dark at night, so we could all see the stars. Sadly, real life isn't like that, and precautions must be taken.
we do live in a beautiful world, and it really isnt so dangerous as the media would have us believe. anyway, if i was a mugger, being able to see my muggee would be a benefit!
also, what about the safety of insects, moths, birds, bats etc... street lights mess them all up. is the convenience for humans really worth so much inconvenience for our fellow creatures?
personally i generally go to bed early, not long after dark in the summer, and get up early.