So thats blair gone then

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

So thats blair gone then

Just been listening to prime ministers question time and they all seemed to wish him well, in fact he got a standing ovation. How strange is this? Normally PMQ is a chance to slag off the opposition. Not this time, they were all apparently in admiration of him.

So did he deserve this?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I don't know, he was there for a long time. Anyone who leaves a job after that long in charge ought to get a bit of a nice time on there last day. I watched it on live streaming, it is so strange, history in the making I guess

You know what, I hate saying this but everytime I see him talk I somehow take on the things he is saying... it pains me, I find myself thinking, hmm, yea, he has a point...Every time I saw Maggie talk I hated her more and more... he is a very good public speaker. I hate the spin but damn it he is good at it. edit to add... I snap out of it pretty quickly btw :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously I'd imagine most people on this forum don't care for him much at all (to be polite) He has had a much tougher job than most people have, whether you love him or hate him.

Still thats all in the past now and we will have to wait and see whats going to happen next...
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

"la plus ça change...." and all that.

Kinda strange to look back on it all though. I came of voting age a few weeks before he came to power, I remember how good it felt, how my generation, who´d grown up almost entirely under Tory rule had been the one´s to kick ´em out. It seemed indeed that "things could only get better"!

That said, that was the last time I voted Labour.

I hear he has a new job as mid-east negotiator - that´s not gonna wind up the arab states then :roll:
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I live in fear of the torys getting back now though... what with New labour turning more to the right and the left-wing vote is split between so many other parties now... it is worrying :?

Though I have never voted Labour... I might consider it just to stop the torys getting in... David Cameron gives me the creeps
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

chadspad

English politics doesnt bother me now but I do still watch English TV and see whats going on. I have to say that altho I didnt agree with some things he said (but then thats true of all other politicians too), I always thought Tony Blair to be more 'normal' and down to earth than other politicians. He seemed more likeable to me.
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Being PM is a job I wouldn't do for any amount of money.

The job occupies 24 hours of every day of the year; the buck stops with you about everything; whatever you do or say, usually more that 50% of the population will tell you you are wrong; you cannot please most of the people most of the time; people will always tell you you are lying, no matter what you say...

In short, the job is impossible, and seems generally to be utterly thankless. Politics aside, anyone who does it doesn't get paid enough.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Millymollymandy

I'm just glad I never lived in the country whilst he was in power!

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Blair (and Brown) turned around British politics well and truly.
Overcome the hard left, took on the conservatives clothes, kept some of Maggies "help your selves" philosophy and the economy is in better shape for it.
Pity all the savings are being hemorrhaged on the NHS and workshy.

wulf

Muddypause wrote:In short, the job is impossible, and seems generally to be utterly thankless. Politics aside, anyone who does it doesn't get paid enough.
I'd differ and say that they probably do get paid enough, although there are plenty of people who get paid far more than they should (I'm thinking of the kind of company director who earns millions for a couple of years and then gets booted out by the board with a "golden parachute")...

I would prefer a system that prevented the same person holding the post for more than two terms though.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I think that to make Tony Blair a peace envoy for the middle east is some sort of sick joke.

I can't stand the man or his politics (or his wife) :lol:

Millie
Living the good life
Living the good life

chadspad

I am having a hard time understanding how it is allowed that not only does another man not voted for step in instead but that he then wants to use his ways to lead! I thought the idea was that, us the people, voted for the person we liked and the (I cant think of the right word - my minds gone blank! :oops: ) things that particualr person has put forward to rule the country with - or am I wrong?
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

madasafish
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Tony Blair leaves with politics in far better shape and politicians held in high esteem.

Spot the two deliberate lies:-)

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

What a great article! :mrgreen:

I also couldn't work out what was so exciting/upsetting about the Blair's treadmill being moved out of No 10...
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

chadspad wrote:I am having a hard time understanding how it is allowed that not only does another man not voted for step in instead but that he then wants to use his ways to lead! I thought the idea was that, us the people, voted for the person we liked and the (I cant think of the right word - my minds gone blank! :oops: ) things that particualr person has put forward to rule the country with - or am I wrong?
Sorry Chadspad, but I am afraid that you are wrong :wink:

In Britain you vote for the constituency candidate with whom you agree (whether that be a party member or an independant) When all the MPs have been elected take their place in Parliment they elect a Prime Minister among them... usually the head of the majority party (although it can be anyone theoretically)

When a Prime minister resigns or dies the MPs put forward another candidate who will take up the post of Prime Minister... again it usually falls to the leader of the majority party.Then its all Kissing Queeny's hand and all that.

The people of West Lothian did elect GB, the majority of the other consituecies voted in a labour candidate... with whom they have placed their confidence to vote on their behalf in Parliment for a Prime minister.

In theory we have all had a 'by proxy' vote via our MP to elect the current PM.

This is how British Democracy works... it may have its flaws but as Churchill said it is the worst form of rule, until you consider the alternatives.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay