Local Food Banks complaining of over-use

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
yugogypsy

Local Food Banks complaining of over-use

Hi Folks,

The area where I live is economically bust, has been since the logging and mills started closing down in the late 70's.

After people started having food stolen from their homes and gardens (we lost a row of beans :( ) the Food Banks were formed.

Now, 20+ years later, they are still going. :shock:

I do know that SOME of the people who use them are bad apples, and use their assistance money for booze and drugs. :roll:

But for some there is a real need.

I really wish we had more community gardens and more allotments here, so people could be self-sufficient-and for those who don't have the skills, but have the need and the desire to try, have free gardening seminars.

Some of the area advocates for those on assistance blame it all on the Govt. not giving enough assistance money.

I blame the ones who are A) too lazy to get a job(and there are jobs out there) and B) the hopelessly addicted, for the over demand.

Some people using food banks now are pensioners who are finding higher prices putting them in a crunch.

I know this is another contentious issue.

I'm just saying that there should be more resources available to those who want to try a little self-sufficiency. :dave:

Lois

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hey there Yugo - good to hear from you!!
I have to say I do agree with your sentiments. I truly believe - based on personal evidence - that no matter how hard up you are there is always another way - you don't have to blame the Gvt or steal form others - especially those in the same boat! It really is a shame that there seems to be only a minority of us who have the gumption to get off our backsides and do something constructive! After all we are all given the same fantastic gift in life - the gift of free will, but how sad it is that so few seem to use it responsibly!
Is there any possibility that you could gather with like minded people and cultivate your own allotment? You speak of the elderly in the area - they may enjoy giving advice where they can't give muscle power, and even if they can't the appreciation you'd recieve, for the food you could share, would be worth its weight in gold carrots!!
Kind thoughts
Helen
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Jack

Gidday

Hey good onya there mate. I actually had to have a look to see where you were, because it sounded like it could have been down the road a bit.

But just for the sake of an arguement, I do blame the government. Not for giving more welfare money but not giving enough lead and education. All schools should teach the basics of how to care for yourself and that includes how to get your own food. The reason I say it should be the government through the education system is simply because the average person has lost this knowledge from their families so it can not be handed down like it should be.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

Milims

Yup Jack you have a point - there has to be some point from which things can be taught and if parents don't know then I guess it falls to the schools - but how sad it is that we no longer know in the first place!! How many basic skills have been lost in favour of modern technology!! And its not just the loss of skills, because along with their loss we have lost our sense of community, compassion, caring and common sense!!!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

yugogypsy

Local Food Banks Complain of Over -use

Thank you Helen and Country Boy,

Yes, I'd love to gather up a few like minded people and get this area to give out more allotments-and I give a big :cheers: to our independent schools who are teaching gardening to their students and I've issued an invite for the kids to come here in the fall and see winter gardening(the one school is just down the road)

Yes, I'm sure the seniors could lend a lot of advice and I'd love to have several local people who do garden give advice to learners. And those who don't garden now can write simple instruction books or show how to make a garden plan or such.

Rick and I aren't proud of being on assistance, but with the garden, we come out ahead on some bills because we don't have to worry about the groceries so much.

Rick also forages wild greens and he could teach that to anyone who wanted to learn it.

I have friends who keep bees as well who might be able to help too.

And I think the owner of my favorite nursery would come and give some talks, he goes all over the area.

I'd just have to find some way to promote it and being at the food banks with some flyers would be the easiest way.

Any other thoughts any of you may have are welcome

Lois

Milims

Do you have freecycle?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
Edward Monkton

yugogypsy

Local Food Banks Complain of over use

Yes we do have Freecycle, several groups up and down the Island and one for all of Vancouver Island.

We also have a lot of people making money hauling scrap :cooldude: and those who don't drink or use drugs are now "dumpster diving" or "binning' for empties or items to sell for extra cash. :(

Lois