Get your radiation suits out

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Get your radiation suits out

The EU have just issued a Europe-wide radiation alert after a coolant leak at a nuclear power station in Slovenia.

Time for those extraordinarily-sized cauliflowers again - just like Chernobyl.

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Don't like the look of the weather charts for the next couple of days!

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

CaundleMama
Tom Good
Tom Good

crikey thats terrible news :(

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

French TV sez "Worry-vous pas! Le réactor nuclear n'est pas un dodgy Russian job comme cela de Chernobyl, mais un chose American avec tous les whistles and bells comme lequel sur le Island de 4.8 km... Merde."

AXJ

Re: Get your radiation suits out

MKG wrote:The EU have just issued a Europe-wide radiation alert after a coolant leak at a nuclear power station in Slovenia.

Time for those extraordinarily-sized cauliflowers again - just like Chernobyl.

Ah... Chernobule, those we the exciting times, I was living on a traditional woodern narrow boat (AXJ family version 1.0) in Chester.

It rained in an incredible fashion, with raindrops bigger than I have ever seen before or since, so heavy that I aquaplaned off the edge of the boat into the canal. With an open rear deck, we had to get the pump going as the bilges we filling surprisingly fast. My S.0. (significant other) had family near-by living in an actual house, so we popped round to see them and saw the early evening news. The national news explained about Chernobyl, this was the first we had heard about it, no big worries. It had only just been announced. The the local news came on and the picture was completely different. It was to explain that the freak torrential rain storm that had drenched us was in fact nuclear fallout from Chernobyl, people we advised to throw away anything that had be bought from the open market, not to eat anything from the garden. Livestock movements were stopped, and those caught in the rain were advised to wash all clothes and shower. The local fields glowed in the dark. A few days later my s.o.'s hair started falling out leaving several bald patches a couple of inches square each. (I was bitten by a gnat and now if I smell cheese I turn into Mighty-Gnat, unfortunately I shrink two millimeters in length.) The hair grew back.

Although we are no longer together, we are both still alive and have had children with the usual compliment of limbs, brain cells etc. But it was pretty scary, I still keep waiting for some horrible side effect to set in, so far so good. Those of us heavily contaminated should be showing symptoms by now, if they are going to show at all.

As far a I know there are still livestock restrictions in North Wales / Cheshire, after all radio active waste has a half life of what 20,000 years or something like that? So I doubt there is a rush, the fields probably still glow too.

AXJ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7436671.stm

I don't think there is anything to worry about, so no giant fruit and veg I am afraid!

Here's the latest on Chernobyl contamination in North Wales

http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/science ... erfriendly