Has my computer been hacked

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has my computer been hacked

Not sure what is going on with my computer, today it is showing chinese fonts in the bit at the top of firefox where it should be telling you the name of the web page. Yesterday the task manager opened by itself twice.

I am running a complete virus scan to see what might be going on is this a known virus? I hate to be paranoid but it started just after I made a post about boycotting the Olympics. - Yep thats crazy talk, but has anyone else had this problem and knows how to sort it?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

hedgewitch
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Has my computer been hacked

Well I talked about boycotting it too and I've no funny fonts. I will ask Mr hedgewitch as soon as he gets back - he's a computer engineer and knows all about things like this.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

marshlander

The thought police have rumbled you, Andy! :lol:
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nah, you're OK, Andy. I've been going on about the Chinese for ages and nothing's happened to me. Excuse me now - my Heavenly Sea Cucumber and Tofu soup is boiling over.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

Andy Hamilton wrote:I hate to be paranoid but it started just after I made a post about boycotting the Olympics. - Yep thats crazy talk, but has anyone else had this problem and knows how to sort it?
Yeah, thats crazy talk, but just to the on the safe side the Chinese are great aren't they? They have a lot of really interesting ideas regarding human rights and we'd all do well to follow their ways ... :wink:
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

eccentric_emma

Ratty wrote:
Andy Hamilton wrote:I hate to be paranoid but it started just after I made a post about boycotting the Olympics. - Yep thats crazy talk, but has anyone else had this problem and knows how to sort it?
Yeah, thats crazy talk, but just to the on the safe side the Chinese are great aren't they? They have a lot of really interesting ideas regarding human rights and we'd all do well to follow their ways ... :wink:

:sign5:

actually i did wonder whether Andy might be right though, as I had heard the Chinese block heaps of websites. So it didn't sound too far fetched. Then again I have been watching heaps of the X Files lately, so anything sounds believable to me of late....
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Having seen a couple of recent posts with obvious Chinese subject matter, I'm beginning to think again about your Chinese fonts, Andy ...
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

ethicalpc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Not sure about viruses, but it could be spyware/malware. Worth checking that your security programs check for that.
The Ethical PC website: http://ethicalpc.com
The Ethical PC Blog: http://ethicalpc.com/blog

hedgewitch

It seems it is a virus Andy - a scan should detect it and get rid of it no problem.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.