Flashers!

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Flashers!

I've always know that I prefer to read long text on paper rather than online - I think I now know what's the main reason behind this: all those b***y flashing adverts etc around the actual text, that are constantly trying to get your attention away from the contents. Does anybody know a way of stopping that?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

StripyPixieSocks

Re: Flashers!

Use Firefox and install AdBlock Plus... ALL adverts anywhere GONE!

ina

Sorry - but me a bit daft :oops: - how do I install AdBlock Plus? I do use firefox already...
Ina

StripyPixieSocks

Go to this page, click on the green button: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

It will bring up the addons box and the button will cound down, when it has, click install.

Restart Firefox and choose one of the subscriptions it will offer you (I just click on the first one and subscribe.

The subscriptions already have most ads blocked for you but should you encounter anything you want to block, right click it and choose 'Adblock Image'

After that, wherever you may surf to should be free from irritating adverts :)

ina

Thank you - will follow your instructions to the letter! :thumbright:
Ina

John Headstrong

while I understand your want to rid yourself of adverts, many sites including this one relies on adverts for some income, while it does not cover the whole cost of the server it does help towards running costs. every bit helps

so I find flashblock addon more effective http://flashblock.mozdev.org/, it replaces all flash with a play button so that you can decide if you wish to view it. you can add sites like youtube and bbc so that they play automatically.

ina

Installed the adblock - but those annoying adverts are still there. They are not pop ups - I think they may be a kind of constant part of the sites.... Oh well, can't be helped. I shall have to put stickies over them.

I wouldn't mind ads - if they only kept still! And lots of stuff you can't get in paper form any more - which I would much prefer; just sent a letter to the Sunday Herald yesterday because I find it very difficult to buy the paper around here, and I have the b***y flashing ads I'm exposed to if I want to read it online... And the Ecologist is now going online only (thereby excluding large parts of the general public from reading it :roll: )... I think the constant bombardment with moving something or other around the stuff you are trying to concentrate on is probably responsible for a lot of problems - from eye problems to behavioural problems... Oh dear, I'd better not open this can of worms. :mrgreen:
Ina

CyberPaddy66
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You have to actually right click and select block on the add you want to block, it's all bout being selective and not blocking everything as there are bits out there that come from the same servers as the ads and you then have to un-block them to see your web content.

John has a very good point about the running costs of servers so blocking them all is not the way forward ;)
Life's a beach until you get sand in your pants!

ina

CyberPaddy66 wrote: John has a very good point about the running costs of servers so blocking them all is not the way forward ;)
No - but giving me a headache and thereby preventing me from going onto the site at all can't be the way, either!
Ina

Ellendra

ina wrote:
CyberPaddy66 wrote: John has a very good point about the running costs of servers so blocking them all is not the way forward ;)
No - but giving me a headache and thereby preventing me from going onto the site at all can't be the way, either!

No kidding!! I've seen some ads that could cause seizures, how do they justify that?!?!

I use NoScript. It not only blocks most ads (sorry John!) but it also has cut down drastically on the amount of malware attempting to download itself.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to thank John H for helping me out! The 'flashers' trigger my migraines. I can now look at stuff on these site again.

I have sent them an email to this effect, so that they know that the 'flashers' are opreventing some people from using their sites. If we don't tell them, they won't realise that there's a problem.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!