Very curious

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

Very curious

I'm one of those paranoid types who checks through the cookies on my computer at least once a month and often once a week. I also have my preferences set to accept cookies only from sites that I navigate to.

Last week, I discovered cookies from more than 20 UK police forces on my computer, which is odd as I've only visited Grampian Police website (to get an email address to report something). Anyway, I deleted them.

I've just been checking my cookies again today, and they're back again - cookies from Norfolk Police, Thames Valley, Merseyside, Avon & Somerset, the Met, Greater Manchester, West Midlands, Surrey, Sussex, Humberside, Devon and Cornwall, etc. Interestingly, they're all English forces. No Scottish ones.

Now, I know that the OH hasn't used my computer in the past week, and I know haven't visited any UK police force websites in the past seven days. There are none in the cache for that period either.

So where are these coming from? They have to be on business websites, blog, and forums that I've visited. But why?

Martin

I'd be tempted by the "high dudgeon" approach - act like a nun who's had her bum pinched! :mrgreen:
I found the following on a Cornish plod site
"General information
You have the right to see certain personal data we keep about you. If you are concerned that any of the information we hold on you is incorrect or have any queries in connection with this Statement, please visit this page - http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/v3/ ... /index.htm"

I'd be tempted to fire off emails to each plod authority, and mutter loudly about government departments leaking like sieves, secrecy, and the data protection act - bloody cheek! :wink:
Mind you, if you have Vista installed, forget UK plod - you have the US homeland spy service in your computer already, firing off all your details to George Dubbya! :dave:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

get yourself a good spyware scanner, and change your internet security preferences to remove cookies every time you turn off the web.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

dunno owt about puters but stoneys post made look at my browser (firefox) it only accepts cookies from sites I visit and clears them whenever i close firefox
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Stonehead

I have a very good hardware firewall (firmware updated regularly) plus various other bits and bobs so I'm reasonably confident about security.

What annoys me about the police cookies is that at least one site that I visit is placing cookies on people's computers for the police. The site owner may have an agreement to do this — I certainly don't.

I'm now checking the cookies after each visit to every web site I frequent to pin down the culprit.

After that, it will be time for a stern discussion...

Oh, and I use an ageing Mac. Microsoft products are too insecure and too inquisitive for my peace of mind (although Apple is going the same way).

red

it will be interesting to see where they are coming from.. and if that website owner even knows.

what is curious is if for some reason the police were interested in your activities, why would they be obviously the police...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog