how do i attatch a pic to a post?

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: how do i attatch a pic to a post?

Thanks for your help so far.

So my options are to resize my photos or use Photobucket or Flickr. If I use Photobucket or Flickr will I still need to resize my photos?

I have an account with Photobucket (just created) and have managed to upload 1 photo. It took about 15 minutes but it does prove I have the correct programmes. However I have tried to include this photo in one of my posts on here with no luck. Either I am missing something or there is a lack of explanation on the site. Maybe I really am that thick!

So another option is I can set up an account with Flickr and perhaps someone (Shirlz) will hold my hand until I am underway.
MINESAPINT

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it is taking 15 minutes to upload to photobucket your photos are really big.

I resize photos by go into the folder that has your photos in it double clicking on the image,
it will invairiably open in a 'picture manager' mine is microsoft office picture manager (yours maybe the same, or similar)
there is an option within the 'picture' tab to compress images (again mine asks if I want for an email, web page, etc)
Just click on the relevent option (I use web page) and it sorts it for you - you might want to save this in a new folder of 'compressed picture' or what have you.

Then you can use that smaller image size to put up here (as already explained) or into photobucket/flickr/etc

HTH
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ref taking 15 minutes to upload to Photobucket. Could it be anything to do with my SLOW connection on dial up? usually around 2Kb/sec.
MINESAPINT

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

2kbps does seem VERY slow. Are you using dial up then?
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Millymollymandy

That explains it - dial up and photos don't go very well together!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thought as much and coupled with the fact I am computer illegitimate and generally incontinent there is not much hope. However OH seems to e-mail photos to her sister OK although rather slowly.

I have not given up yet. I am going to have a look at Picasa/google to see of I can use that. Will report back.
MINESAPINT

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

The time taken is directly related to the size of the image file - so reduce it. There are a million image processing programs available for free on the net, ranging from the GIMP (full-fledged pro-standard graphics program) to simple photo manipulators (and you've probably already got one on your machine which came with the system). Assuming that your photos are from a digital camera, they can be Megapixels in size. For the purposes of this site, 800 x 600 is easily big enough for any purpose (I think it was AXJ who ran a series of photos with sizes somewhere on here). So - reduce your photo to that size before trying to put it onto Flickr, and all will be much faster.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks MKG,

I have tried to find ways of resizing my photos but encountered all sorts of problems. The programme I seem to have on my compo is MSN Web Publishing Wizard. When I try to use it I end up with error messages.

I have sucessfully loaded Picasa2 onto my computer which then searched for all photos on my computer and I now have all my photos on Picasa2. It is now extremely simple & quick to e-mail my photos but I have not yet discovered how to post them onto this site. I assume Picasa2 will enable resizing of photographs but I have yet to discover it.

Help still appreciated.

Thanks
MINESAPINT

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I just downloaded Picasa to have a look - not the easiest of manipulation programs, but it will do what you want.

First of all, make yourself a new folder called anything you want - let's say "Uploads". Or , if you don't want a new folder, decide where you want to put your resized photos.

Start Picasa, go to the gallery you want and click on the photo you want to resize (hmmm - that might be a double click - you'll soon know).

Go to the File Menu and choose Export Picture to Folder. A menu box will open up where you can choose the destination folder (your new one or the one you chose), the new name of the image, the size you want (a slider bar) and the new image quality (leave it on automatic). Click on OK and Bob's your Granny's cat.

Now you have the image at the new size in whatever folder you created or chose, and you can get on with the fissly bits involved in uploading to Flickr or whatever site you're using.

Best of luck.

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG, Thanks for downloading Picasa and for your further advice. I followed your instructions and found the resizing was in terms of pixels. I understand to post on this site the size needs to be 256Kb. However I resized my photo to the minimum 320 pixels and whacked it into a new folder as you suggested. The size of the photo is still 1.5Mb which is 6x the size allowable.

Sorry I am so useless but have you any further suggestions?
MINESAPINT

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just tried this, and my 4.5 megabyte photo was reduced to 65 kilobytes. I suspect that you actually checked the size of the original, not the reduced copy - the original is left where it was at its initial size.

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hope this works
Attachments
trial.JPG
trial.JPG (32.04 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
MINESAPINT

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not quite sure how I did it but I need a rest now!

Thanks for your patience.
MINESAPINT

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Millymollymandy

Success! :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/