Frog Pond

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
JasonP71
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Frog Pond

Hi all, I'm putting a small pond in my allotment in the hope of attracting frogs because I've heard they're good at keeping pests at bay. The allotment is a good way from houses, so don't think I'll get waves of sleep-deprived residents descending on me like something from a Romero film...

Anyone got any advice please? I was informed that certin kinds of leaves are poisonous to them, but the informer couldn't inform me which ones - he'd forgotten! You can google stuff like this all day, but it's so much better hearing it from people who have done it...

Cheers,

Jason.

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Frog Pond

you don't,necessarily,need a pond to attract frogs.They will appear out of nowhere,& quite happily take up residence in a heap of old (rotting) leaves, & live on all slugs/snails etc. They only need the water to breed.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

JasonP71
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Finally got my pond put in and very cheaply too, ended up using an old bath with black plastic pond liner and sandstone edging, all of which were left on the site from the previous owner. Don't know why I didn't think of that before! lol. I've put slopes either end so that the frogs/toads can access it.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad to here it, sound like your pond is quite a beautiful one.

Putting in a pond is quite simple really, when you know the basics... Mine is now nicely overgrown, I can't see it anymore, it is probably a haven for certain creatures.

As for leaves being poisonous... well most animals are pretty good at avoiding stuff that is bad for them... humans excepted :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Rod in Japan
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm very sceptical about frogs being voracious eaters of slugs. I have a pond and lots of frogs, but I also have slugs in Pharonic numbers. I have yet to see a frog chowing down on a slug.

Does anybody have any evidence that frogs and toads are at all effective?

invisiblepiper

Rod in Japan wrote:I'm very sceptical about frogs being voracious eaters of slugs. I have a pond and lots of frogs, but I also have slugs in Pharonic numbers. I have yet to see a frog chowing down on a slug.

Does anybody have any evidence that frogs and toads are at all effective?
Nope - got to agree with you there - as a quite revolting child I often picked up toads - real ones, not the metaphorical variety of later life! - and I can remember one toad cowering in the corner of a tin (temporary home) trying desperately to escape the large black slug which I had offered it for lunch .............................. :shaking:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think I have the evidence. We just don't have slugs and snails. We have, admittedly, a large number of frogs and we encourage the thrushes too, but the fact remains - no slugs.

EDIT: Oh, incidentally, the large black slugs don't do any damage. It's the little buggers you're after.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Rod in Japan
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've seen thrushes eating garden molluscs. But not frogs or toads. Could you possibly send me a breeding pair of thrushes? Thanks.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

A breeding pair of thrushes?? Given you're in Japan, old English jokes about Japanese pronunciation could be raised - but I won't :lol:

And no, you're right - thrushes don't eat frogs and toads :lol: :lol:
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

my mum has a frog pond and she certainly doesn't have any problems with slugs. That's evidence enough for me.
Hypocrite slayer for hire. So many hypocrites, so little time.