Is my elder a rowan?

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Is my elder a rowan?

Elder!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Povester
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Thanks so much for all the positive replies on the elder front. I gathered together my cordial making ingredients and waited for a dry spell to harvest the flowers. This small window of opportunity came this morning (clouds are gathering again now) so I bunged the flowerheads in with the fruit rind and boiling water. It smells disgusting! Is this normal??

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't help there, Povester. The smell (and taste) of elderflowers or anything made from elderflowers makes my stomach churn at the best of times. But then I'm an extremist who would make picking elderflowers illegal as it lessens the harvest of the real stuff - elderberries.

On the other hand, I believe that it's said in the books of lore that the initial treatment of elderflowers is a pretty stinky process. Either that or you have the legendary "cat's pee" flowers.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Povester

It was an elder, I am very pleased. Thanks to all you experts out there who helped identify it.

We made some elderflower champagne from this recipe:

http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk/growing ... gne-recipe

Its still fermenting, has taken weeks to get started but seems to be going now so I'll let you know how it tastes.

Cheers, all.