Ferns!Help!!!!!

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Ferns!Help!!!!!

Hi everyone,
I have a nice shady spot underneather my kitchen window and decided to grow some ferns there.Was'nt planning on doing this until next spring but......went to B&Q yesterday and low and behold,they are selling ferns for 50 p each pot!So I brought 6!Now I'm wondering whats the best way to keep them over winter.Shall I plant them into the ground now?Or is it better to keep them in the pots,say on my outside table?Thankyou in advance!
PS I can't tell you what variety they are atm as I am writing this whilst still in bed!lol

daz101
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Ferns!Help!!!!!

Well the type is important as there are tender ones. They are perennial (mostly) so they will die back naturally. You could overwinter them in the pots in a cool place but keep the soil damp (not wet) They obviously wont need light whilst dormant either. Just check the compost once a week. If you wanted to plant them out you would have to harden them off and its a bit risky if we get a frost. For 50p you might want to risk it and whack them in, ideally in dappled shade in damp and humid conditions.

happyhippy

Thanks Daz,so if I leave them in the pots they came in,and place them on the ground (they will be on gravel not grass)against the house they will be ok?There are two different types,and both varieties are common,I've seen them in many gardens over the years.

boboff

Personally where I am in Cornwall I would plant them.

Provided your soil is warm, which it will be for a couple of months here, they will establish a bit in that time.

They will also get the best possible start in the spring.

Provided of course they are not tender ones! In that case they'll die, but then that would only be a year earlier if it is the case.

Not sure where you are?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

happyhippy

I'm in Wiltshire! :cheers: One variety is a Japanese Shield Fern,and the other a Holly Fern?Both common I think as I have seen them in many gardens over the years.So whats the verdict people?Pot or plant out? :dontknow: