Philodendron

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Philodendron

I've taken on a philodendron that needs to be rewound around the moss stick - do they go round a particular way or can I do it either way, and are extensions to the moss stick sold or will I have to improvise? Also, any other tips would be appreciated. It's what I would call quite long and in a large pot, three or four stems, one of which I'll give away as a cutting as it's far too long for the stick, and variegated. Could I put a small cutting in a bowl of water and grow it in the water only?

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Philodendron

Quite a lot of climbers go in a widdershins direction, so if you wind them the wrong way, they will detach themselves and go in a different direction. The moss poles are sold in varying lengths from memory, but you could go out and cut yourself a nice big pole from the wild which would probably do. If you get a longer stick, you won't have to cut off some of the plant, whether it would root in water I don't know, but if you wanted to propagate some of it, air layering is quite a good technique or just layering it may result in roots which you could then give away. Keep houseplants dust free and spray with water occasionally. Feed monthly and don't overwater

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The tub needs topping up a bit, could I just add orchid bark to it? I was wondering if it would help to mix in some sphagnum moss to help retain moisture between the bark chips.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

It depends on how hard and potbound the plant is. Houseplants need repotting every couple of years, sometimes you can get away with a top up as long as the soil is not too compacted. You can do a root trim on them as well if you want them to go back into the same pot, so slice along the bottom of the root ball and then a bit of the sides. I used to use multi purpose compost. You can top with bark to stop the top getting salts from accumulating and to look nice, never mixed moss with anything but you could if you wanted to

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It's not looking very good - I hope it will pick up in the summer