planting a christmas tree from seed

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

planting a christmas tree from seed

This is my baby's first christmas and I have had an idea of planting a pine-cone on christmas day (in a pot in the house- we don't have a garden or suitable window-ledge) We will be moving in the next year so it can go outside in the future.

I thought as it grows we can decorate it and use it as our christmas tree in a good few years.

Would this work? Any tips on how to get it growing?

Ann

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

great idea - word of warning tho - my parents planted a horsechestnut when my son was born - when the cows ate the top off it.. at the same time my son became quite ill. its spooked me ever since... if you are not careful you give yourself an emotional burden!
You can buy Christmas tree seeds at garden centre in the novelty section - I have tried these and it failed - I spose it would be better to approach a pukka tree nursery and ask them
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Boots

Hi Ann,
That seemed like a great idea, until I found this...

[Takes a lotta time....][url]http://www ... rticleID/1[/url]
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

After reading that link it seems pretty impossible to do what I wanted :(

I had a few pine cones in the house and I noticed when I dropped them that seeds fell out of the gaps (they looked a bit lke sycamore seeds)

I might just try to plant them, and add some hope.

re. getting emotionally attached... Thats a toughy...maybe if the tree does get trampled by a cow, its just a sign that you live too near angry cows. :wink:

Ann :santa:

Boots

Well, if you already have the seeds out, I'd say you are ahead of the 8 ball, and you clearly are not afraid of cows. So, go for it!

:mrgreen:
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

you can get a kit from Hawkins bizarre (www.hawkins.co.uk...i think) that is for growing a christmas tree from seed.

Might be worth a try!