Bumble bees

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
ohareward
Living the good life
Living the good life

Bumble bees

I am growing lavender between my fruit trees and they are covered in bumbles. About 8pm the other night I was walking passed and I noticed that there were some bumbles on the flowers. I thought that they were out a bit late, so I had a closer look, and found that the bees were asleep. It is the first time I have seen them do that. Talk about getting an early start. Has any body out there in selfsuffientish land seen this happen. I am very intrigued.
ohareward.

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Do bees sleep? :shock:

Could they have been sluggish due to the cooler day we had yesterday? It's been so unseasonably mild recently I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been fooled by the temperate weather and then got caught out, but I'm no beekeeper.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I know nothing about bumble bees, we don't got 'em!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

all about bumble bees

Fascinating stuff... I didn't know that they didn't lose their sting when they sting you.

I've often seen them in this sleeplike state when it's cold .
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

We found two dead bumblebees today! :( There is also reports of bees dying off around the world! No bees & humans are in some serious trouble! What happening? Is it from all the Frankenfoods they are growing everywhere now??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070407/sc ... turebeesus

ohareward
Living the good life
Living the good life

We have a problem here in NZ with the varoa bee mite. It is very bad in the North Island, and has just arrived in the top of the South Island. The mite only attacks honey bees. It lays its eggs in the bee lavae, and in time will destroy the whole hive. Bumble bees and wild bees are not affected.

Robin
'You know you are a hard-core gardener if you deadhead flowers in other people's gardens.

To err is human. To blame someone else, is management potential.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think that colony collapse disorder is more to do with the use of herbicides than GM/frankenfoods. That's just my gut feeling, based on what I know of the use of weedkiller in the US, UK and here in Italy.

We have some excellent bees here which we've nicknamed Biker Bees. They're like the big fluffy Bumble Bees, but louder and look like they're wearing a black leather jacket. According to a neighbour, they have no sting but they're a little intimidating. They're very interested in whatever you're doing and buzz around for ages.

Jack

Gidday

I just love bumbble bees. Loverly thing things and really great pollenators too. Thanks for that like about them too.

When I was a small boy I stood on one with my bare foot. It stung like a bloody machine gun, but I forgave it cos I had stooden on it first.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.