Operation Bat

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
baldowrie
A selfsufficientish Regular

nah it was the Continental breakfast I was serving! :lol:

ina

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

red

hey good for you batwoman!

last house had bats in the loft.. we managed to live side by side ok.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

tiggerTOO
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Operation Bat

Hi All,

Although I live in Scotland the legislation covering bats is fairly similar in that bats are listed as EPS in the Conservation (Natural Habitats, &c.) Regulations 1994. In Scotland this legislation has been strengthened with additions and amendments to regulations 10 and 13 by the Conservation (Natural Habitats &c) Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2004. Under the above legislation it is illegal to deliberately or recklessly:

• Kill, injure, disturb or capture a bat or deliberately or recklessly harass a bat;
• Damage or destroy the breeding sites or resting place of a bat; and/or
• Damage, destroy or obstruct access to a roost.

The reckless bit is very important as any developer who regularly deals with roofing and other structural issues should know that bats are a protected species. As such the roofer and the owner of the structure are liable to prosecution if they have disturbed the roost. One of the problems with bats is that they move around from roost to roost and bat surveys can often miss the presence of a roost if it is not in use at that time. However, an inspection of the loft, external surfaces and around the property can often show up sign of bat activity such as droppings or staining. If bat droppings are found within a property this indicates that bats have been roosting there and as such it is a bat roost and protected.

Unfortunately too many developers are getting away with this type of thing and even when a bat survey is carried out only one survey is done which only provides a very limited bit of information.

If you have, or think you have bats in your property and they are a nuisance to you the best thing to do is contact either the Bat Conservation Trust or your local bat group. Many local bat groups have members who can advise you of your rights and what can be done. Bats can be excluded from properties but this will need to be carried out under a licence. It should be noted that bats cab get into some very small spaces and through very small holes and when one hole is blocked they often find another. As such it can be expensive and time consuming to “get rid” of them. It is often better to be thankful that something as cool and special as bats have decided to share your property.

I would be interested to hear how this develops and whether a prosecution is carried out.

tiggerTOO