Alert to crocheters

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Alert to crocheters

A few weeks ago I posted a link to a free crochet pattern website. I've used it for months with no problem.

Yesterday I went on it and one of the pattern links infected my computer with a trojan horse. I didn't realise what it was - it kept coming up as a persistant and annoying box which told me I needed a new anti-virus and kept trying to open another window to an anti-virus software site. I was only online for a short time and only on that site (and its links) so I thought it was just some aggressive advertising.

It was only this morning when I switched on my computer and it did exactly the same thing that I realised it was a problem. It took my OH most of the morning to get rid of it.

Anyway, my apologies - it appears to be a new problem - but I wanted to warn you all not to access the site.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alert to crocheters

I've edited out the link in the other post. I've got it bookmarked, so if you find out which pattern it was, let me know and i'll reinstate the link with a warning about which pattern not to download...

invisiblepiper
A selfsufficientish Regular

Thanks for the warning - that might actually make sense of computer hassles we've been having . I visited a couple of free crochet sites two weeks ago and my anti virus found a couple of problems too. :flower:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Thanks for that :cooldude:
I didn't visit the site
I do hope there wasn't a problem with the Drops design site (which was the link that I posted) I've had no problems with it previously and it seems well organised
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I have no idea which link off the main page caused the problem - I was flitting about all over the place. I've just taken the whole page off my bookmark list.

It's a real shame - although I don't usually follow patterns to the letter - just looking at them gives me inspiration for my own designs.

I guess I'm just going to have to try a bit harder!
Maggie

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was probably hidden in a pattern somewhere, or a link. My antivirus hasn't shouted at me for using the site yet..

As far as i know, the Drops Design site is virus free - all the patterns are by Drops themselves, whereas the other one had patterns harvested from a lot of places. All it takes is for one person to not know they've got a virus and upload a pattern that it nests in.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

my firewall's not shouted at me yet.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

OH has just informed me that the site which was responsible for this aggressive advertising trojan horse thingy has been shut down by the US internet police aka Federal Trade Commission.

This is the link if you're interested
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7779223.stm

Of course it doesn't mean they won't start up again in some other guise but maybe it's OK for now.
Maggie