Going for a no Spend Christmas

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Going for a no Spend Christmas

They're absolutely beautiful - you're family will love them and pass them down. You're creating heirlooms not Christmas presents. :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Keaniebean
A selfsufficientish Regular

Thanks Green Aura, does that mean I will be getting the Galaxy of Stars one back as it's for my mum :lol: :scratch:

I've added my photos to the flickr group as I gave up trying to resize on photobucket :angryfire:

Here are the links.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52845896@N ... 23452@N22/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52845896@N ... 23452@N22/

I'm giving up on photobucket it's a right old pain in the butt cheeks.
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

Love the quilts! Wish I could do something like that!
I've started making people cakes for birthday presents, they always go down well. My aunt who is very artistic buys cheap, plain crockery and paints it to give personalised mugs etc. My fruit bowl is a stunning one she painted, I love it and it's different from anything in the shops! Unfortunately, I have no artistic ability whatsoever so I think I'll stick to giving food-based items!

hmk
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've had a few ideas for Christmas.
Little girls are getting bunting and/or picture frame hanger things- paint the empty frames, staple wire or string across the back, add mini clothes pegs, hang notes or photos on it.
Granny usually gets a hamper, and as I've been reading about the benefits of rosehips on arthritis, she'll get rosehip syrup and possibly jelly too in there!
I'm making my mum a (very) simple chicken doorstop, and MIL an owl one. I like the chicken one in Slice of Organic Life, but I think something like this http://www.domesticsluttery.com/2009/06 ... rstop.html is more realistic with my sewing skills!
The 2 dads may get a breakfast box- homemade bacon, sausages, marmalade etc. My dad is especially keen on the Pear and Lemon jam from the Cottage Smallholder blog, so I'll make him some of that.

HMK

Keaniebean

I made one each of those chicken doorstops for my mum and mother in law for last christmas. They both really loved them and still have them in their houses. The only problem I had was I felt like I was wasting the beans that I filled them with, :scratch: .
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Susie

I tie-dyed my brother some tshirts last Christmas. He has quite a specific style and he isn't a hippie like me but I thought perhaps he'd wear them under jumpers or something. Well bless him, every time I see him he has his tie-dyed tshirt on, so I'm counting that a success. He says the only problem he has is that sometimes people come up to him in pubs and want to talk about the Grateful Dead.

I love the chicken doorstops. I want to have a go at one of those really old-fashioned draught excluders shaped like a sausage dog.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

hmk
Tom Good
Tom Good

Keaniebean wrote: The only problem I had was I felt like I was wasting the beans that I filled them with, :scratch: .
I know what you mean. I found some ancient soy beans at the back of the cupboard which will be a start :oops:

I don't think I'm going to be up to quilt sewing by next Christmas like you. They're amazing and I'm sure they'll be well loved. :icon_smile:

HMK

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

Those quilts are beautiful!! I'd be thrilled to get something like that!

Gift wise, I've already got 6 litres of elderflower cordial in the freezer, 2 litres of rhubarb vodka and limoncello-ish on the go; I've only (!) got 20 jars of jam left from July's batch, but have got a freezer full of fruit ready to make some more when I've collected enough jars.

Now it's September (eek!) I'll start doing soaps, salves and bath bombs/cookies to stockpile for gifts as well.
I might even stretch to biscuits and biscotti in December if I've enough time.
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

Keaniebean

I don't think I'm going to be up to quilt sewing by next Christmas like you. They're amazing and I'm sure they'll be well loved.

HMK
Don't be too put off HMK, I have never even attempted a quilt before these ones. If you can cut a square and sew in a straight line then you are pretty much there. I just found a book in a charity shop and followed the instructions so you should have a go. If you are unsure start off with a cushion cover or something small like that, even a pot holder, that way if it's not great you haven't wasted much material and could probably still use it anyway.

I warn you though it is VERY addictive. It's great watching the picture come together and knowing you made it. I love it.
We have a saying in our house to hide the mistakes and shoddy work all around us. If it's not perfect or broken we call it 'Rustic'. I might live in London, but i have a very 'rustic' house :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sarah.x

prison break fan

Sarah, everything about my life is rustic!! pbf.

thesunflowergal

Sarah- ha ha ha thats what we call everything here too.

I started making finger puppets for my girls I was hoping to make more as presents, but I am not sure that they are good enough to be honest. I don't have a sewing machine so I am a bit limited in what I can make, plus I have only be sewing for about a month now. If I add a photo to my blog of some of the finger puppets would someone please give me a honest answer? I normally make hampers up of jams, chutney, truffles etc.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Susie

I'll give you an honest answer! Put them on your blog :icon_smile:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

nice one.. i'm also trying to minimise the ammount of money i spend this christmas, hence the home made jam & chutneys that i'm gonna make with my son.. the only problem i'm having at the moment is getting enough jars! lol
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

pelmetman

As a serial skinflint :lol: I have been making Christmas presents for friends and family for the past few years :cooldude:

I have made bird tables, bird box's, folding screens and footstools. It's a good way to use up some of the left over materials I get :thumbright:

This year I am making some notice boards for the family, and another stool for our friends :cooldude:

Dave :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Keaniebean

Oooh I like the idea of noticeboards. I had never even given that any consideration. but I must get these quilts finished first. I'm just 18 stars away from having all the material cut up. then it will be a case of sewing like a crazy woman to piece it all together.

It's looking good so far and I think I can actually get it finished by the end of next week, fingers and everything else crossed mind you. I'm just praying I don't muff up the actual quilting part. I haven't done it before :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have trouble with the men folk, I can never think of what to make them other than something involving their stomachs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any ideas for pressies for men welcome :dontknow:
Sarah.x