Going for a no Spend Christmas

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Keaniebean
A selfsufficientish Regular

Going for a no Spend Christmas

I really want to spend no money this Christmas, so have been using up my stupidly big stash of materials and so far have 1 and a bit quilt tops to show for it. I have never quilted before and got a couple of books in a charity shop a while ago. The first is for my son and is made from a quilt, a sheet, a curtain and some fabric inherited from my gran.
The second will eventually be a double for my mum and her partner. This is all scraps of material some new although purchased 18 months ago and some is from clothes, sheets, duvets,scarves. You name it I've nicked 10cm squares out of it :lol: :lol:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

boboff

Re: Going for a no Spend Christmas

Wow you clever thing, I love the second one.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

bonniethomas06

Oh my word! They are both lovely, but the starry one is absolutely stunning!

I am still labouring through my crappy 10cm square basic quilt and finding it slow going, I am seriously impressed with the way that the patterns all fit together neatly and you have continued the colours accross each different grid. Well done! :thumbright:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Excellent - I'd never have guessed you were a beginner! They look fab and I bet you feel a real sense of achievement.

I'm sure the recipients will be thrilled.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Absolutly stunning!

I'd love to be on your xmas list!!!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

They are both really good. Even more so for a beginner.

Zoe

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Very nice.

Anyone got any ideas to share for other no/low spend Christmas presents. I will need stuff for colleagues, neighbours and some family. dont think I would get away with that for kids tho !
Sarah :flower:

Keaniebean

Thanks for all the praise. They have been fun if not hard work.

For no spend Christmas ideas, I intend to make herb oils and and vinegars. Jams or cordials, the quilts of course and if I get time I was planning to make a quilt each for my two daughters, but I might have my work cut out for me.
I was going for minimum spend for the kids, their quilts will be their big presents but I think I will have to spend a bit on stocking fillers. I do think I could make cookies instead of buying the usual bags of sweets and maybe make a sweet or two, or a small stuffed toy monster or something. I'm not sure yet I've been making it up as I go along really.

I've already given the husband my shopping list for Christmas. I want him to make me a bee hotel like I saw on Gardeners world. So he will have a no spend Christmas too. :cheers:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Bikil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 40° 46' N
longitude: 111° 58' W

Those are very nice! I really like the 2nd one.

We are doing very low spend.
Making scarves for relatives & friends.
Shawls for our Moms.
Courgette crisps & dried fruit dipped in chocolate for various friend. We want to create a family label to make it fun.
Second-hand toys for our daughter.

I think it will be fun and cheap, good all 'round!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
- Douglas Adams

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

They are truly beautiful quilts.

We are always striving for a no spend christmas, but we end up with a spending not a lot instead!
We never quite manage it...:lol:

Having said that we have managed 2010 to be our handmade / homemade year and so far so good, every gift we have given has been handmade or home produced...it requires more thought, which has made us more choosey about who we actually give gifts to in the first place, and no more giving of crappy gifts, just because we feel we ought to.

Once again well done they are beautiful

Lorna xx

Susie

Just noticed this! These are absolutely beautiful, you're inspiring me to branch out into different quilt blocks!

We did a low-spend Xmas last year (mainly chutney to be honest) - everyone loved it. (I don't know if they'll love it when they've had it a few years running, but we'll see :wink: ).
Last edited by Susie on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

prison break fan

Sarah they arebeautiful!! Could we have a close up? I can't believe you are a beginner, you have certainly got a talent! I am struggling with just a basic square quilt. I think having a no-spend, home made Christmas makes you much more selective with who you want to give presents to. This year I want to do some felting, and I am making crochet t-shirt rugs. pbf.

spider8

I'd love to see them in a bigger picture too please :iconbiggrin: . They look beautiful and you obviously have more patience than myself as I'm not too good with sewing (poor eyesight!). To be honest, we don't have that many people to give presents too now just OH mum and dad, a few friends and to have a few 'stand-by' presents. Once I've sorted out the spare/junk/storeroom I'll get making things........honest!
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Keaniebean

Thanks again for all the positive feed back.

I'm not sure what happened to the pictures they were big, but after a few replies seemed to shrink! :shock:

I hope my quilts don't do that for real, :lol: , i'll be sewing for years.
I'll upload another picture and see what happens. :scratch:

Nope, I've tried and I cant work it out. it is saying they are too wide but they should'nt be as they are smaller than 720 pixels! :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :dontknow: .

I give up for now. :? :roll:
Sarah.x

Keaniebean

PBF,

I have been doing the tshirt rug thing too,although it's taking ages. The dog kept piddling on our landing carpet :angryfire: :angryfire: so I had to take it up and the floorboards are too noisy for me. There are details on the blog and some better pictures of the quilting too.
I'm knitting mine as i can't crotchet, I almost murdered a random passer by the last time I tried :iconbiggrin:
Sarah.x