Want to make - Socks (knitting) (no idea how though)

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Want to make - Socks (knitting) (no idea how though)

As part of my 2011 new year thingys lol - I want to start making some of my own stuff. And my current lot of socks I have has so many repairs done to them its time to start considering replacing them. So, I am thinking I will learn a new craft and try out knitting ? (a 28 year old eco lad kitting :crazy: ..) I ain't cracked up lol, I want to have a go as the current prices of £12 for a pair of organic wool socks is a tad expensive for me :)

As a total newbie on the knitting front.. can anyone can give me some tips, reference materials on how to knit as its all confusing at the moment, patterns etc.. I have no idea at the moment.

Help

Silver Ether
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Want to make - Socks (knitting) (no idea how though)

Well I assume you don't have a real person that can teach you to knit? .. So I suggest you google your tube vids and have a look there at the tutorials and find one that you like and can follow ... Socks are knit in the round generally don't have to be but it means you don't have seems ... Sooooo google how to knit/ knitting for beginners and see if that helps ... Go to your local wool shop they maybe willing to help. Good luck and don't be afraid to come back and ask more...
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

contadina

I taught myself to knit by using a combination of online instructions and youtube videos. Once I'd got a scarf under my belt (a good way to practice knitting) I downloaded sock knitting instructions http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/printready/ and watched youtube videos for any for any bits I didn't understand.

Susie

Hi! Join Ravelry - www.ravelry.com - there are forums too and people are (mostly) very helpful ;-). There are specific forums for sock knitting as well (you can search on the groups tab). If I were you, I'd get the hang of knitting flat first - you need to knit socks in the round, but once you can knit flat in the round is fairly straightforward (it's like wrestling a reluctant hedgehog to start with but it gets much better). Silver's sock class is good, like contadina says. Also I would try knitting socks in aran weight or thicker first - they won't fit in shoes as well but they're a lot quicker, and it's helpful to get one done reasonably quickly to start with so you can understand all the shaping and turning the heel (it's not hard once you've done it once).

I find Regia sock yarn good and bamboo double pointed needles better than metal.

Good luck! Handknitted socks are actually much better and more hardwearing than shop-bought ones, so good for you. Welcome to the Knitting Dark Side :cheers: .
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

happyhippy

Hi,I don't live anywhere near you but I am also interested in learning how to knit.I've recently found out there is a local knitting group which meets weekly close to where I live,and apparently they are more than willing to teach!!!I think you pay something like £2 per week.You might have a similar group in your area.Good luck and happy knitting! :cheers:

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

knitting socks is not hard to do, unfortunately I live in netherlands but also, I support the here mentioned fact that once you get the basics down, you can knit socks too.
I learned it from the internet also and used this site: http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/genericsocks.txt
I checked and the link still worked.
its a good starting point, aside from youtube and googling also will bring you a lot.
GOOD LUCK and if you have questions, post them here, happy to help

becks77

Hi, I would agree with Susie, Ravelry was my first stop there's loads of info, free patterns and friendly helpful forums
:cheers:
Last edited by becks77 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

yeah totally support the ravelry comment too!!! I am on there too as Wolheks...you can friend me ;)
but be forewarned: ravelry is ADDICTING.