knitting help please!

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
prison break fan
A selfsufficientish Regular

knitting help please!

Hi All, Once again I am turning to you for help! However did I manage before I discovered ish? I have found a lovely old knitting pattern for a hoodie, and want to make it for my daughter. Only trouble is, I don't think the wool exists anymore. It is Snowflake Double, Double-Double. Knitted on size 71/2 (1) and 61/2 (6) needles. Any help with an alternative would be greatly appreciated. I live in a fairly remote part of Sussex, (if there is such a thing!) and don't have access to wool shops. Have tried looking on the internet, but am pretty useless at that. Thanks in advance. pbf.

becks77

Re: knitting help please!

"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Susie

PBF, what tension does it knit to?
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

prison break fan

Susie, it is10sts and 13 rows = 10cms 4ins.

Becks 77 thankyou, it is neither of those, but I feel hopeful as Snowflake is out there! pbf.

Susie

OK, that's a bit of a challenge ;-), I was hoping it was going to be a double knit or something! It sounds like it might be a superchunky kind of weight - how about Twilleys Freedom Wool which is practically the same tension, or Sirdar Big Softie which is one stitch off (you could perhaps knit it a bit tighter) but is very cheap at Kemps?

Does it look like a chunky pattern?
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

prison break fan

Thanks Susie, the Big Softie looks lovely. I feel very stupid about this and am very grateful for your help. I am actually a very good knitter, but only if I have a pattern and the right wool! I have been looking for a hoodie pattern for ages, and this is the only one daughter likes! Fussy or what!! I think as it is double double double it must be a super chunky. Thanks again. pbf.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can double up double knitting wool, really just have two strands at the same time, it is dead easy - it is the same thickness as 'chunky' that way..... gives you more choice of colours, is usually cheaper.

HTH

edit to add - if your test patch doesn't come out right change needle size... smaller needles for a tighter knit and bigger for a bigger knit.....
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Big Al

..........Can we go back to arguing about petrol....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

prison break fan

Are we boring you Big Al? I have to stay in and do my knitting because I can't afford petrol to go out! her it is 133.9 ltr. Why aren't we protesting? pbf.

Big Al

probably too busy knitting!!

Incidently I have a lot of needles in imperial sizes as opposed to metric if they are of use to people as knitting is one thing I can't do except in, over, through , out.....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

in.... over... through.... out.....
that's about all there is too it Big Al :mrgreen: no excuse!

Those imperial knitting needles would be a great gift for a beginner... £2.50+ a pop for a set of needles these days and you never seem to have the right size... (I have a bunch of old imperial ones and they come in very handy) it's easy to work out the metric sizes too.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay