Sewing machine, help!

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sewing machine, help!

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me, but I'm having major difficulty in using my sewing machine. I've had it a while now (about 10 years) but it's sat at my mums for most of that only getting used occasionally so it can't be broken. Anyway, it's being annoying, I thread it up as ''explained'' in the booklet (booklet is one of those which is in about a million different languages and has about a sentence in english and then a load of useless pictures :angryfire: ) and it sucks the material into the underneath when I try and use it as the top thread gets tangled underneath somehow forming a knotty ball.
Can someone please try and explain to me what is going wrong :banghead: I've patiently done all the steps in the manual about 20 times now and it still goes wrong. :cry:

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Sewing machine, help!

have you tried giving it a quick clean?
that used to happen on my old singer and my brother machine too, i would change your needle, take off the footplate and winkle out any dust and fluff, give a good blow or puff some compressed air in and around the cavity under the foot. then try again, it'll probabky be sorted and run cleaner.

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

I see you are in the north east. If I can be of any help, as I am also in the north east (and spend a lot of time sewing), let me know and I will come take a look (with or without Hubby as he is the technical whizz in this household).

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

It sounds like the timing has been knocked out of synch. This can happen if the needle has been clouted on the footplate. Check the groove of the needle is on the correct side, on the opposite side of the needle is a small depression called the scarf (for where the bobbin shuttle picks up the thread).
To check the timing.....
With the footplate off, manually advance the needle until the shuttle case revolves towards you (There's a pointy bit which passes the needle). If this is top dead centre and the depression of the needle isn't locating with it, the timing is out.

I could talk you through correcting it but there isn't much point until you've identified the problem. Keep us posted! :iconbiggrin:
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

It could be something big like the timing or it could just be something really small - mine does this randomly and then it gets better. Things that have helped me:

Rethread the cotton, even though you've threaded it correctly - just take it all out and start again. I don't know why this sometimes works but it does.

Check the tension. If you're sewing on anything other than medium weight woven cotton the tension can be a PIG to get right.

Check the bobbin - mine does this particularly when the bobbin has nearly run out.

Change the needle - a blunt needle causes problems like this.

When you have rethreaded (top and bobbin), pull both threads through for about 10 inches to make sure everything is running smoothly and to stop it getting tangled.

Also - DON'T USE CHEAP THREAD - that will do it as well.

Good luck!! ;-).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

haha! i second the cheap thread comment! :D

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Def what Susie says, I thought it could be the tension when I first read your description.

Good luck
Sarah :flower:

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

pops wrote:haha! i second the cheap thread comment! :D
what I was going to say too - or old cotton thread (old polyester seems to run ok)
other thoughts
is the bobbin in the right way round?
is the needle in the right way?
defluffing and oiling can often be the answer if it was running well previously

@Davie Crockett - I spot an expert - I may need to ask questions about my older Singer later :salute:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

@Davie Crockett - I spot an expert - I may need to ask questions about my older Singer later
I used to be an Upholsterer before I joined the Ambulance service. Needle work still comes in handy there! LOL
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Keaniebean

My sewing machine does this with knit fabric :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: so it may be the actual fabric you are using, otherwise I second Susie with the cheap thread and also the dust. I was once told something very useful and have since found it to be very true.

Sewing machines generally only break when they are not used frequently. Or when your 4 year old sticks pencils in them and then turn on the power causing minor explosions and instant death ( to the sewing machine - phew).

When you have exhausted all other possibilities, you may have to bite the bullet and get it serviced/repaired. My old one was fine after that until said explosion :wink:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

yep, service would be a good idea if it's 10 years old anyway. ask any retired quilting ladies for their recommendation, they do get their sewing machines serviced and are as tight as can be about paying for it!

green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for all the advice, sorry for not replying sooner been busy renovating the camper van! Had a poke around with some of the suggestions above and turned out it was just the bobbin in the wrong way round :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Keaniebean

:laughing5: :laughing5: I'm not laughing honestly, maybe just a little snigger. At least you worked it out and didn't have to get it serviced though. I shall look forward to seeing what you make. :iconbiggrin:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

cheek of it! :lol: I'm actually making a patchwork quilt inspired by the post with the pictures of the one you made! :salute:
Though I think it is safe to say mine wont turn out half as good considering my past record with these bloody machines... :oops:

Keaniebean

You can do it green pea, that was only the second one I ever made, the first one is up there too or in a thread on this board somewhere. I had never done quilting before then. If you can cut straight and then sew straight your halfway there. I have to say I was left somewhat traumatised and killed a sewing machine doing it ( well my son managed to blow it up, and the dog piddled on the big quilt just as I got to the binding phase, which almost sent me over the edge too), but if you've worked out which way the bobbin goes :wink: :iconbiggrin: then there's nothing stopping you :hugish: You can ask for help with anything here and someone always comes to the rescue.
Sarah.x