Quilt Quandry. Susie? Mrs Flib? Keanie? HE:LP!

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Quilt Quandry. Susie? Mrs Flib? Keanie? HE:LP!

Finally!! The torment of sewing together 2000+ 10cm squares is over. One day I will look back and see the post on this topic when I announced I was starting it, it was about 1984.

Meanwhile, I am stuck about the next move. I understand that I need to get me some batting, affix a border and back piece and begin quilting.

However, I don't know which stitch to use on my machine. Can I just use the basic,large-ish straight running stitch (that you would use for say, sewing a dress)? I am doing the 'in the ditch' method and may invest in a travelling foot. But is there a particular stitch that machines usually have? It is a very old Toyota - my mum says a quilting stich uses a single thread. But my machine uses two?

So confused. Sorry for a novice question, but the book I have is a bit crap. Any tips?

Thanks in advance. :flower:

(p.s, I do look at it and think of Keanie's lovely starry quilt, and Susie's quilted representation of fire, and feel a bit ashamed! But it is a start and I think the dog will appreciate it when it is lining the basket!)
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Keaniebean

Re: Quilt Quandry. Susie? Mrs Flib? Keanie? HE:LP!

Ok if you have the quilt top you need to measure it. Do this by folding it in half measure down the fold, not around the edges as you might think. Then unfold it and fold it in half the other way and measure it again.( so you have with and length measurements.
Use these two measurements to find the size batting you need, and also the size of the back you need. I always add a half inch border round each side just to be on the safe side to both wadding and back.

Then when you have cut you wadding and back, pin the bejesus out of them starting down the middle and working your way outwards with all three layers together.

What I then do is just use a running stitch to quilt again start in the middle and work your way towards the edges.

When I have this done, I square up the quilt using a rotary cutter, self healing mat and metal ruler.

Then I bind it! Not in the magical sense of course, the quilt wont hurt anyone,lol.

I haven't found a method of binding that I'm happy with yet and have always ended up hand sewing which I loathe, but I think Susie has a good method she used and might be able to help you on that front.

If there is anything that doesn't make sense just shout, I would be amazed if it does make any sense, I often know what I'm talking about in my head but it comes out as gobeldy gook once I write things down :shock: :shock: :iconbiggrin:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Susie

Aaaahhh! Congratulations!!!! :-).

I would second everything Keaniebean said and also this is what works for me:

I use cotton batting from here: http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/N ... ibres.html
I use the quilter's dream cotton natural select weight (snappy name eh?). Buy bigger than you think you'll need because the bigger size will only be a couple of quid more and it leaves you room for error. We have literally no floor space in this house so I make the quilt sandwich on the bed and also hanging over the banister, and like Keanie says, pin pin and then pin some more. The fabric kind of sticks to the cotton so it's working with you rather than against you.

Then to sew on your machine - yes, just use a bog standard straight running stitch on your machine (TBH I use the same stitch for everything). I think perhaps your mum is thinking of handquilting (and don't handquilt! It takes forever!). I don't have a walking foot and I manage fine, but you do have to pull it so it doesn't bunch (this will make sense when you're doing it). I find it's best if I quilt about 4" apart so that will work perfectly with your squares.

When you're doing this, it's much more physical than you think it's going to be. Don't despair and think you're doing it wrong, you're not, also whatever it looks like just keep going, it will be ok in the end and you will love it (I say this because I always go through the dark night of the soul in the middle).

Binding - I have a method - I did a tutorial here if you're interested. It doesn't give you the proper finish (there is a stitching line which there isn't with handsewn binding) but I actually prefer it and also it's much quicker. Also I would add - don't bother cutting binding strips on the bias because it takes up more fabric and it doesn't make enough of a difference.

Well done and you know we're agog to see pictures, don't you? :wink:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

bonniethomas06

Thank you SO much both, very very helpful advice and I feel a lot less worried about it now.

Keanie, I do know what you mean, and would have totally cocked up the measuring if left to my own devices.

Susie - I had your tutorial saved in my favorites for when the time came, so thanks. And for the batting recommendations.

Stuff it, I am going to chance it without a wandering foot, they are very expensive and frankly the thought of trying to match one to my aincient toyota machine is too stressful.

Of course pics will follow - unfortunately left my camera out in the rain :( and am currently waiting to see whether it will dry off and work. But might be able to codge something up with my iphone later on.

Thanks again, a million :flower:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com