Project: Solar water heater.

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
MidnightFarm
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Project: Solar water heater.

One of my first experiments was heating water by solar energy. In it's basic prototype form, initial testing heated the water to approximately 85 degrees C. Pretty impressive for what essentially was a black radiator in an insulated box, behind a double glazed patio door panel. It was mounted vertically on a sheltered South facing wall, to enable it to be self circulating. On the inside, there was a coil of copper tubing inside a water tank (like a hot water tank, but home made!). This indirectly heated the water enabling it to be useful. I was considering using it to pre heat filtered rain water prior to the washing machine, but never got that far with it.

So many ideas, but so little time as work gets in the way! Has anyone else tried anything like this, and what were your results?

John Headstrong

Re: Project: Solar water heater.

I have made one of these years back, it was great, we had a free very large tank of hot water everyday. Later on in the year I made a small woodburner to heat the water, which could make the water far too hot. It was a system totally made from scrap so cost nothing aprt from a few clips and welding rods for the burner.

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Seems to me this could be adapted to provide heat to a greenhouse.
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Blog http://fredarth.wordpress.com/
Die dulci fruere.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I haven't tried this, but I'm planning to. Our new thermal store has a coil in the bottom all ready to take the solar heated water. It's very encouraging to hear about other projects that are working - I'd love to hear more details.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/