organic yarns

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
VM
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

organic yarns

Wonder if anyone knows of sources of organic yarns. I'm looking for undyed yarns that I can try dyeing with plant dyes and then use in embroidery.

I've found some people that supply plant-dyed yarns on the web but they are fairly expensive and I fancy trying out making my own colours.

Have found some organic cotton and wool for knitting which could use but also something thinner would be better - guess I could take knitting yarn apart!

thanks in advance for any links/suggestions

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Greenfibres.com have some basic materials so worth a look.

I´ve recently become a bit of an Etsy.com addict, and whilst most of the sellers are in the US, most will ship overseas and the weak dollar means you get more bang for your buck! Just don´t blame me when you spend all night surfing and purchasing lovely handmade stuff that you didn´t know you needed!
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

ina

Try Garthenor Organic for undyed wool - they have all sorts of colours, of course, but only as they come from the sheep!

http://organicwoollies.co.uk/home.html
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Not sure my home spun will be thin enough for embroidery - but I can try

I know one of the fleeces is organic, the 'big flock' ones I couldn't be sure of, although since they got to me the most they've had to do with chemicals is washing up liquid and vinegar :flower:

I shall check contacts and see if I can find any
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lanark Yarns...can't remember what their website is now...but they're from Scotland and have organic natural yarns. Apparently, you an also ask them for specific things too.

VM

belated thanks, people, for these replies

been away from the web, but will check out these sources

VM

just had a look at Garthenor and New Lanark website - thanks for telling me about these - both look good, especially Garthenor