Bleaching viscose

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Bleaching viscose

I've got a 100% viscose dress I'd like to try tie bleaching, but I don't want to melt it lol!!!

I normally use a strong solution of 1 part baby sterilising fliud to about 5 or 6 parts cold water to bleach stuff, but I've only ever done cottons before. the ony way i can think to test the dress is to dab a bit on and wait and see, but there's nochere really hidden enough to do it without it showing. AAARGH!

help? thanks!!

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've just had a look in my sewing stash, and all I have is some 65% polyester 35% viscose fabric. I don't mind running a testing session on it tomorrow afternoon and letting you know what happens, if you think it will help?

I've also had a look at the wikipedia article on viscose, which lists some of it's applications as cling-film, sponges and ladies' stockings (I don't know why men's stockingss would be made of anything different...). I can't imagine any of these being damaged by bleach, so I would imagine a viscose dress is also okay to be tie-dyed.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

thanks for the offer, but I found a bit to test!
I had some very similar fabric in my stash and went for it, (I'd only got a 6" square) it's gone an interesting shade of brown but it's not disintegrated so I'm thinking of doing it once on the whole garment, rinsing, drying then doing it again to tie bleach it so I get sort of dark brown circles on a lighter brown background. the brown and the navy blue just don't seem to work together lol!

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ooo, that sounds really pretty!

Let us know how it goes