Blogs

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd certainly recommend http://wordpress.com/ over the other options for a free blog ... wordpress is the most used and I'd say intuitive blogging platform + if your site becomes a success you can move to your own domain and build your own Wordpress site.

I'm going to be offering free blogs to country related, sustainable living and 'green' bloggers through my web company bochgoch.com soon, but I'm not ready yet...

If anyone would like to PM me for advice on using Wordpress then feel free...

Thurston Garden
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:
starchild wrote:I've used quite a few platforms and find wordpress to be the best. But I would agree that for a complete novice Blogger is probably the easiest to manage. it's nice too because you tend to get a lot of people visiting your blog quite quickly with blogger.

enjoy, but beware; it can be an obsessive hobby once you get going ;)
I'd agree about Wordpress - it is very good, but not obvious to set up if you're a complete muppet like me. But if you've got someone IT savvy to help.
I also use Wordpress and was a bit of a Thicko to begin with but it's really easy to use. It's even easier (and faster too) if you use the Scribefire plug in - click the icon at the bottom of your browser window (Firefox only though) and start typing, pretty much like a word processor thingy that then posts directly into your blog. :cheers:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Flo

I've got a hotmail address so use the windows live space that goes with it. It's more complicated than either wordpress or blogger but also free. I started there but having a squillion years of fighting the computer it was easy to me.

I suggest that he types up what he wants to say in word so that he can copy and paste it into wordpress or blogger whilst you get the hang of things. It can be a bit daunting to just type up your thoughts, publish and see all sorts of silly things you said. Typing it up somewhere else, making it coherent and with proper grammar and spelling make it more rewarding when you have posted it to the web. :mrgreen:

Get a few posts up, a few links to other blogs or sites that interest you, put a few pictures of relevance if possible and then tell your friends about it. Make comments on other people's sites (even just leaving a greeting) that includes your blog and you will soon get a following. You do have to advertise if you want a following and put up entries regularly so that you appear on the latest updated blog lists. Also accept people as friends if the facility is there so that they can return and read as you update.