ITS SNOWING !!!!!! SO WHAT WILL YOU GROW IN 2006

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
libran
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

ITS SNOWING !!!!!! SO WHAT WILL YOU GROW IN 2006

Don't know about anyone else but I love to see the snow falling when I'm inside and warm. It looks SOOOOOO Pretty.
Can say that cos I've jiggered my knee and I am browsing my gardening books and new seed catalogue. Can't find much on Sweet potatoes which I fancy giving a try - put a post on the veg forum on this. Also interested in Jerusalem artichokes which I know my mother used to serve up, all knobbly things but delicious and I don't see them in the shops.
What's anyone else planning for 2006?
Happy New Year from Libran

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sorry to hear about your knee, hope it won't keep you grounded for too long - but it gives you a good excuse for staying put and browsing catalogues :wink: !

I seem to remember something on sweet potatoes half a year ago or so? I think they are a bit of a problem in our climate. Jerusalem artichokes grow well, but they are not really my favourite... I'll just be trying all I had this year, but hopefully EARLIER!!!!, and maybe different varieties, to see what does best. I've already started with some seeds in pots in my unheated spare room (currently used as larder; I'm sure it's no warmer than my fridge!). I'd bought some very early red cabbage and celeriac, so I thought if I get them started now, they might be ready to go into a cold frame or the poly tunnel in February/March.

And I'll need more onions, beetroot, carrots... and fewer potatoes. I'll also be using horticultural fleece next year (particularly for cabbages and carrots). A friend of mine gave me some for Christmas, a very useful and welcome present!

Ina

hedgewitch

I'm gonna try Aubergines next spring, I've not grown them before. Also I'll be growing the usual tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, garlic, onions, lettuces, peppers, beans and probably a whole host of different things, I just wish I had more space. :roll:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

TIMBERFRAMER
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Growing in 2006

Not sure of the full list yet as DP is still adding to it. We will however be investing in a SH polytunnel to bring things on, and I will probably knock up a few timber cold frames to harden things off in. I would be interested in peoples ideas as to what grows well on slopes as we have various different gradients. Anyone from NE Scotland with ideas on which varieties of veg and fruit grow well?

ina

I'm still trying things out myself - but James Grieve is supposed to be one of the best apple varieties for here, so I've planted one of them! Flowered profusely last spring, but no apples so far. Didn't want any yet, anyway, as the tree is suppose to grow a bit first (if my goats let it... :cry: )

Ina

libran
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

growing for 2006

still planning my list too and wondering whether aubergines will grow outside. The weather has been a lot warmer and as I don't have a green house I am trusting to plenty of sunshine and warm weather for ripening things. My tomatoes and cucumbers did well last year as did my peppers so maybe aubergines might do OK.
Its nice to see what others will be growing. Thinking of doing a diary as it is my first allottment with photos of every thing at different stages then I can learn from this for next year!!
Bound to have loads of failures I would imagine
Libran