what's it like to live in scotland?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: what's it like to live in scotland?

Oh dear! Poor guy... :pale:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

kiery
Tom Good
Tom Good

Great! Just don't tell too many people. It is hugely varied but please don't just look at the central belt.

Here on the east coast we don't seem to have the same extent of religious conflict citizentwiglet has had experience of, but then there are not very many faith schools in my area (or private which is a good indication of how good our schools are) here. There is a railway staion in my little town which goes to Aberdeen, Dundee Edinburgh and Glasgow ( doesn't stop very often though!). Sea on my doorstep and 20 mins to the glens. Great place Angus! Often overlooked!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

re. sectarianism - you see how built in it becomes when you grow up here... didn't even cross my mind... unless you are looking to get 'bottled' you just don't wear blue, green or orange (in certain areas on certain days) But it is particular to Greater Glasgow/ West Coast/ central/ built up areas (it isn't an issue where I live)

re. not many Scots left in Scotland - I reckon it is because we are a friendly bunch - lots of other friendly folks come here to live and we do like spreading our culture around the world. USA, NZ, Aus, Canada all have enormous Scottish contingents. Much of Scotland is very multi-cultural and and we don't have the same problems with white supremacists as there seems to be in England.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

wow, this has all been so informative, thanks guys!

and particular thanks to Possum for that delightful mental image.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

ina

kiery wrote:Great! Just don't tell too many people. It is hugely varied but please don't just look at the central belt.

Here on the east coast we don't seem to have the same extent of religious conflict citizentwiglet has had experience of, but then there are not very many faith schools in my area (or private which is a good indication of how good our schools are) here. There is a railway staion in my little town which goes to Aberdeen, Dundee Edinburgh and Glasgow ( doesn't stop very often though!). Sea on my doorstep and 20 mins to the glens. Great place Angus! Often overlooked!
Next door to me! You can't be far away...

I have heard of some folk having problems with hardline "churchy" teachers (not faith schools, either!) - I think it depends very much on the particular school.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)