The garden at this time of year.

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

The garden at this time of year.

I always think that at about this time of year the garden starts to look sad and sparse. Most of the stuff I grow I grow from seed every year and now is the time to start digging up and getting rid of everything, but then I end up with pots galore with nothing in them, empty baskets and troughs, and very little in the borders.
I am already planning for spring and have been planting some spring bulbs, but what else can I do to brighten things up?
Are there veggies I can grow in pots over winter or am I too late?
Any ideas appreciated. :flower:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The garden at this time of year.

Yesterday I sowed a row of Japanese onions and several rows of over-wintering onion sets, but I'm not sure you would want them in your borders.
Likewise over-wintering broad beans and peas that I will sow at the end of October. You can stick a few cloves of garlic in, now is a good time to do that, the garlic bought in the shops is as good as any.
On the flower side, now is the time to plant Wallflower plants, your local garden centre might have some.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

agapanthus
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

You might risk bringing in disease if using garlic from the supermarkets....an also get very small cloves. Th ones sold by the seed merchants are varieties chosen to grow in our climate and have gone through quite a process to make sure there are no diseases spread. :flower:

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have just ordered some garlic bulbs to plant. I was really pleased with mine this year, even though I planted them a little late, so am on the ball this year.

I would love to grow onions as I love them in any shape or form. I gre some shallots in pots this year but havent really got room for onions, sadly.

So I can grow peas in winter? I might give that a go! :lol: Just plant them outside? No need for a greenhouse? ( I have just put my plastic unheated one away for the winter)

I might go and have a look for some wallflowers.
@Odsox, have you had success with shop bought garlic?

Thanks for the ideas guys, I am feeling a little more enthusiastic now. :flower:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SarahJane wrote:So I can grow peas in winter? I might give that a go! :lol: Just plant them outside? No need for a greenhouse?
You have to make sure you get the right ones. They are called "round seeded" as opposed to "wrinkle seeded" (honestly)
Ones to look for are Douce Provence or Meteor, I prefer Meteor but that's just my preference.
Sow them in early November and protect them from the wind when they come up and you will have fresh peas weeks earlier than everyone else.
I always grow shop bought garlic, mainly because you can't buy anything else here and UK seed companies don't like sending anything other than seeds abroad. Planted now they make nice sizeable bulbs by next June/July.
Tony

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SarahJane wrote: I might go and have a look for some wallflowers
I forgot to mention that these are wallflower plants, not seed.
Wallflowers are normally sown in late spring in an unused corner somewhere and then transplanted to borders when the summer bedding has finished, about now or a little later.
They can be transplanted bare rooted just like cabbages (same family)
Tony