quorn??

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

quorn??

Can anyone give me their opinions on quorn please.

I like the chicken chunks one (we call it cheatin' chicken) and we have it in fajitas and the occasional curry, I don't like any of the other 'varieties'

I know it is GM but in my mind it is just GM (ie it isn't fish crossed with rice) and it isn't grown in fields (so no cross pollination risks)

Any thoughts?

I am not a vegetarian but I only eat organic animal products, which are expensive and JohnM isn't a big fan of mushrooms. Plus there is the convenience of just opening the bag and pouring it in - I don't do much convenience food but I do like that I don't get meat hands/ chopping board/ knife contamination.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Penny Lane
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: quorn??

Well I didn't actually know it was GM so I'm glad that I don't eat it! Vegans have been trying for years to get them to stop putting egg in the recipe but I'm not going to bother anymore!

The one fake chicken I like is made by a company called Realeat. The fake chicken pieces vanished a while back but I've heard a rumour that they're on the way back. If you can find them, have a go :mrgreen:

(Edit to add...) If you see Realeat's beef chunks try them too, I remember enjoying them in my vegetarian days.

There's not many affordable vegan fake meats out there so I can't really give an opinion on the rest.
Have you tried tofu? If it's marinated and made properly it's very yummy. I made a peanut butter/soy sauce marinade a few nights ago, my hubby really liked it which is very unusual for him!!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Penny Lane wrote:Well I didn't actually know it was GM so I'm glad that I don't eat it! Vegans have been trying for years to get them to stop putting egg in the recipe but I'm not going to bother anymore!
OOPS!!!

I just checked wikipedia and it isn't GM....
Contrary to some suggestions, Quorn is not genetically modified: the fungus used is still genetically unmodified from the state in which it was discovered. The different tastes and forms of Quorn are results of industrial processing of the raw fungus.

It is still grown in a weird way though
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

StripyPixieSocks

I have used them in the past especially Quorn when I was vege but to be honest it was more to give other people cooking for me an easy option and I didn't cook it for myself very often at all.

At the moment we are on a no further processed than mince diet as we watched a horrendous TV program about food and the fact that there were sausages with only 5% (yes 5) meat in them :pale:

I'd just use Tofu instead... I'm a BIG fan of Tofu in any form... yummy and if you fry it until it's brown on all sides of the cubes it has almost the chewy texture of Quorn or Chicken!

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yes, I'm quite suspicious of quorn although I do quite like it sometimes. Coincidentally used it last night in a chilli, mostly because I didn't have many fresh veg and wanted to bulk it out a bit. I prefer to buy the Realeat mince but I've never seen any other Realeat products, will look out for them. I don't really use meat substitutes that often, if I can't afford a nice bit of meat then I prefer to stick to veg. I always preferred veg based meals as a veggie although I know some veggies who just continue to eat meat and 2 veg meals only using a substitute! I much prefer recipes that are actually designed around the veg itself (or cheese or eggs if you're not vegan) if you know what I mean? Sorry, slightly waffly reply but basically I'm not completely convinced.

moogie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I am of that small percentage of people who get VERY sick from Quorn so I won't advertise it. :wink:

citizentwiglet

I saw the programme about the sausages too....whoops, sorry, 'Bangers' (can't legally call them sausages if they have less than 32% meat), was VERY thankful I haven't eaten meat other than wild, shot stuff, for 20 years!

Must say, I don't think much of Quorn...but that's more because I'm a skinflint and I think it's daftly expensive. I used to buy those Beanfeast things, as I understand it, they are now GM...
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I barely eat any meat, so I occasionally buy Quorn products, but normally only if they are on some kind of special offer or in the reduced bit. I don't think there's anything wrong with them and I like the taste. However, on the whole I'm not a fan of things pretending to be meat and prefer to eat vegetables as they are! Also, as citizentwiglet said they are expensive :scratch:
Smile :)

sleepyowl

I like Quorn but being more a meativore I rarely eat it, but their 'chicken nuggets' taste more like chicken than ordinary chicken nuggets
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

hedgewitch

I'm surprised some of you guys think Quorn is expensive!
The last time I looked it was 99p for a bag of "mince", has it gone up that much then?

I used to LOVE Quorn. The burgers, bangers, chunks, roasts, fillets..you name it.
LOVELY convenient food.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

missie moo

i don't like quorn. my girls, who don't eat meat, do. so we buy it. i much prefer something like lentils to substitute for mince in something like shepherd's pie. lentils are easy to get ready prepared.
jane

eccentric_emma

Ahh I love Quorn. Its one of the things that I miss now I'm vegan (I dont miss much else really unless I'm starving and then I'll crave anything). But yes it is expensive, but extremely handy for BBQ's with friends or to give people cooking for you easy options.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Graye

I love quorn unless it's in its "slabby" form, (cutlets etc). The mince etc is a nice change from TVP, something I cook with all the time. Just a quick question (mainly because Quorn products are not generally available here in France). What is in Quorn which makes it unacceptable to vegans?
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

prison break fan

I fool the grandchildren with Quorn "chicken" nuggets, but I think it is very expensive, wish I could buy it for 99p! I think it must be healthier than cheap processed food. I think vegetarian cooking is really interesting, and when i'm skint we live on lentils. pbf

Helsbells

I love quorn, had some today in a risotto. Dont buy it that often but I am dieting at the moment for my wedding (avatar is old picture) so substitute it for meat which is much fattier whichever way you look at it.
I actually like the quorn mince more than real beef mince!!